Heyyy!


Heyyy!



A scrambled mind this morning, but Martin Wunderlich’s font because I like the closed-tail lowercase g and the little feather cap from an Arizona quail especially the regular italics g -- the larger the better.
g 

The proper name is Gambel’s Quail, Martin’s font always taking me back to Arizona in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Linda and I’d like to get on the Sunset Limited just in time for supper in New Orleans and ride, ride, ride. 

AmTrak beats Carnival any day, and maybe even Disney Cruise Line with the top-deck breakfast buffet of soft scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. Well ...

Don’t even mention airline travel to me, they’ve gotten the seats so squnched up in steerage class. Not to mention it’s so far down. If I’m not in a Navy plane with an aircraft and pilot I trust, you can have it. Wreckage of the Malaysian airliner may be being spotted a thousand miles west and south of Australia, what the alphabet sunflower were they thinking? I no thank you.

The scattered scramble started early with Kit Foster’s CarPort, http://www.kitfoster.com/carport/ looking for that DeSoto site, couldn’t find it, should have clicked it when it was in front of me, reading “A Belated Obituary of DeSoto” which is actually a nostalgic history, and looking at pictures of DeSoto cars. 

What the scrambled does, where it takes me: Red Baum’s 1948 DeSoto Suburban, gosh I coveted that car until he ruined it by installing a plumber’s vise on the left rear fender (Baum was a master plumber). My grandmother Gentry’s silver 1934, or was it a ’35? DeSoto Airflow sedan parked in front of the drive-up drugstore that was on Harrison Avenue in the late 1930s, you drove up and honked and a boy came out to take your order; we were getting ice cream that day, or orange sherbet. 

Sala Motors on Harrison Avenue north of but in the same block as W&W Motors. My father bought Dodge and Plymouth cars and trucks from Karl Wiselogel, and Sala Motors was in the same block a little bit north, our DeSoto Plymouth dealer. The quonset hut is still there, next to where St. D's RC church was, then a food shop, now a bank is there. And yes, I coveted the DeSoto cars there, plus Gray/Grey Sala was very cute when we were at Bay High. I think Bill Guy had a crush on her. See where the scrambled goes with the word DeSoto. 

And “Happy Days,” Richie Cunningham (Opie, Ron Howard) -- his father liked to mention his DeSoto, a sign of class. Remember The Fonz, with Henry Winkler? Heyyy! Fonzie, the greaser with leather jacket. 


Where is the mind now. Thinking about The Robe movie that we’ve been watching as our Wednesday noon and evening Lenten program at HNEC. Richard Burton noticeably rides a white horse. And someone saw a white dove in the movie last night, flying by as Jesus carried his cross to Calvary, and fell. Very subtle, I missed it, I’ll put the DVD on this week and look for the white dove.

W, Thursday

Pax