Just A Sin Away


Busy traffic on the Bay this morning, a tug just went past pushing a long line of barges, heading east. It won’t pass again in the south channel heading to the Gulf, but will go straight, under DuPont Bridge by Tyndall and on east via the inland waterway.

But the large cargo ship now passing heading west to the Port of Panama City will be in port long enough to offload. When it leaves, later today or tomorrow, it will pass close by here in the north channel, turn in front of the oil tanks, and pass again in the south channel as it heads out to sea. 

And there goes another tug pushing a line of barges east.

It's romantic to imagine what it would be like to be aboard, heading wherever. But only romantic, BTDT and not interested in reality.

Lovely morning, pleasant to wake up at 6:04 and come out here on the upstairs front porch to watch the day open and the Bay traffic, coffee and blog. Just as I was about to press Publish, my MacBook took charge, cut itself off, and my enthusiastic first blog post evaporated taking the mood with it, such that this replacement feels totally uninspired. 

This is our family “Easter Weekend,” everyone around but Joe. Kristen drove into the carport at six o’clock last evening, hours earlier than I expected, and I was surprised how quick and far an elderly man can leap from his chair. Panama City native like me, she’s my only one who likes oysters, so we are going for lunch. Maybe Hunt’s, maybe the Sandbar at the “Y” at PCB. Probably not Captain’s Table, as my last two platters of steamed oysters there were microwaved to a shrivel. Gene’s on Sherman Avenue in Millville? Maybe. I haven’t taken Kristen there for oysters and it can be pretty dicey waiting for three barstools in a row at noon. But it’s a classic old-time oyster bar. You sits on your barstool, watches your oysters opened before your eyes, beams as they sets them down in front of you, puts on a dash of Tabasco, picks up your fork, and goes to heaven. Heaven’s Just A Sin Away but the Kendalls weren’t singing about oysters.


That was 1978 and I remember it well. Her daddy died since then, but I think Jeannie Kendall still sings. They were among my favorite country music.

TW