When Life Is Good


One of my most enjoyable books in memory a friend gave me for my birthday, a biography of C.S. Lewis. It’s one of those books that I can put down for days or even a couple weeks until an inviolable hour comes up when there’ll be absolutely no interruptions and I can read in one of four really good sit-down places I have here in the high condo and fade into some part of the twentieth century. Yesterday afternoon I was able to do that before we went to the church for our monthly gathering of the EfM Alum group. It’s always a highlight of my month, and last night we had an enjoyable program and a delicious supper of lamb and three decent red wines. 

Ten years ago next month it was, December 2005 I took the entire HNES middle school to the opening of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe at a local theater. We used attendance and the class discussion the next day as our final exam for the fall semester. This morning I got to reminiscing about it and those eleven, twelve, and thirteen year old students, kids I' d loved so dearly. I fiddled around online until finding the movie for free, the whole 143 minutes. So I clicked on it and started enjoying. The sound wasn’t clear, though, so I went to get my hearing aids and sat down with it again only to find that it was in Polish. 

This wonderful, beautiful day in November is gray and trying to be dreary but it isn’t at all.
 Half a dozen pelicans are floating in the silver bay at my feet. The view across to Shell Island fades to hazy in the distance and into the Gulf. There goes a Coast Guard cutter with its orange stripe, heading to port from the Gulf. If I could do my life over, I might choose to spend all eighty years right up here. 

The Veterans Day ceremony at church yesterday was perfect. 

Life Is Good.



Thos+ drifting along