always to have been


Weather on 7H porch earlier this morning was 45F and 53%. 


Nearly four hours later, 6:47 temperature is 43F, still 53% bright, clear sky all the way across St. Andrews Bay beyond Shell Island into the Gulf of Mexico. 


Saturday awakens up with a streak of low pink haze fading into light blue sky.


Pics from 7H, first Friday morning sunrise. 


The first shot was spectacular but when I looked it was video and still running and I couldn’t get it to trim down to one frame and by the time I said my bad words, 


four or five seconds had passed and the image changed. You have to catch life running, but make sure the movie camera is off on your iPhone. 

All the rest are last night’s sunset looking west, south and east, not respectively.

Thus far shall you come, and no farther.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I have left undone those things which I ought to have done, and I have done those things which I ought not to have done. Not to say my prayers, my Saturday thoughts are national this morning, not on tomorrow morning’s Sunday School lesson as they ought, but on FDR, “the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.” I am afraid. I fear the president, who is not doing what I in my fear would do to crush those who hate us. Most of all, I fear those rabid ones who would do what I would do to crush those who hate us, a fiery apocalyptic darkness unchaining fear and hatred for untold generations to come. Fear of terrorism can be paralyzing. Don’t travel. Don’t fly. Don’t cruise. Don't take the train. Stay out of the subway. Stay home. From the mall. From the theater. From the concert. From the parade. From the restaurant. From the school play. From the church Christmas pageant. Buy more magazines and rounds for the AK47 in case there’s a knock on the door. 

Beyond worst, fear is unmasking a nation of racist bigots crawling out of the woodwork and from under every rock, no longer masquerading as politically correct, a nation, a people morally, ethically indistinguishable from Germany and Germans between the world wars, every man, woman and child whom in newsreels then and now I saw raising the fascist salute, which was without exception every single human without a number tattoo or a yellow armband, bar none until Eisenhower swept through and they all lied, “We were lied to.” To my ongoing horror I am descended from them, one in blood. 

As the nation sinks hysterically deeper and deeper into abyss, we are becoming that which all my life I have hated, despised, detested, contemned beyond the most evil darkness of the most irredeemable sin. I can deal morally with those who hate me, but I find myself unable to deal spiritually with my contempt for what we are becoming, or perhaps what I fear I am only just now finding myself always to have been, this response of fear and hatred of all who are other. The Advent caution to be alert, stay awake, keep watch applies alone to the contemptible creature who glares condescendingly at me as I shave, the enemy I fear most. This is America? Even so, come, Pogo, quickly come.

Too private, introspective to post.

Helluva way to keep Xristos in Xmas.