and make haste

and make haste


Thoughts shifting, churning and won’t focus, so concentration is faulty. Part of it is the right ear, problem is being treated, ear being tolerated and led along to, in due course, repair the eardrum or let it repair itself. That’s a hopefully. Affects all kinds of things, surprised at the permeation. Keeps me feeling groggy somehow. Black coffee.

Boat slowly circling just offshore from 7H, three men standing at the gunwales (gun’l) with rods, lines in the water, trolling for - - what? Shallow, they’re not in the channel. What’s out there?

Good Friday just brightened for me. My brother, a widower, and his high school girlfriend, a widow, have reconnected and their romance resumed. They are coming to PC this Friday. I’m so excited for him, can’t wait.

While I was trying to wake this morning, Linda had the television on Channel 13, sound on mute, glancing up from trying to post my version of TGBC for the day, I watched a Sonny’s commercial, mouth watering, had a bbq sandwich with more hot black. Hot sandwich with Carolina vinegar bbq sauce, dash of a hickory sauce, on thin ww bread. Recommended, remedy for all ills, especially my illness of longing to be 17 or 18. My friends, life is short, and we haven’t much time … so be quick to love …

From my age 14 or so, magazines became important in my life. Other than Life and Saturday Evening Post, which came in our mailbox regularly, I never knew magazines, and certainly never knew there was one with my name on it until that day, riding the bus from PC to Pensacola for my appointment with Dr. Bell to check and adjust the braces on my teeth, the bus turned down an alley and stopped for five minutes at the side door of a drugstore in Fort Walton. I got off, went inside, spotted a magazine rack. Walked over to it and my eyes lit on something I’d never heard of, Motor Trend, a car magazine, something so tuned to me personally, and thank God I had a quarter, and returned to my bus seat in love. With MT. And Walt Woron, who was test driving, I think, a 1950 Chrysler New Yorker sedan. I still have that first copy of MT. It’s in my car trunk that Joe bought for me years ago.

Why am I on magazines this morning. I have several free online subscriptions. One is Bitter Southerner, which gives me a bit of Southern reading every week. Mostly with reminiscences. An article that included Hot Boiled Peanuts for example, yes we Southerners love hot boiled peanuts. I like to dig around in the little brown sack, pick out the tiny soft ones, pop into mouth, chew and swallow. But I like every one. It’s all good.



DThos+