coffee now, Break Fast later


"In the beginning" reads the NRSV, "when God created the heavens and the earth ..." my best favorite bit of scripture, where the Big Bang ignites with the opening creating Word יְהִ֣י yə·hî - -

Nothing Is so spectacular as our Universe, of which over my years I have enjoyed tiny bits many nights since first becoming fascinated with astronomy at Cove School (1941-1949). Untold hours with my telescope on that ridge where we lived 1963-1966, high above Yokohama, looking out over Tokyo Bay in one direction, Mount Fuji in another, and nights looking skyward, the Universe. It was distracting and calming and brought the peace that is the essence of shalom in a time of life when I needed that, and it was enriching for a lifetime. 

As from Xmas 2019 I have a small telescope that is allowing me to reclaim some of that joy of my twenties, especially finding out and anticipating magnificent celestial events coming in 2020 (see link below). 




https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/ten-biggest-celestial-events-night-sky-2020-180973956/?utm_source=smithsoniantopic&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20200119-Weekender&spMailingID=41577542&spUserID=NjU5OTAwNDUxNjk4S0&spJobID=1681796456&spReportId=MTY4MTc5NjQ1NgS2

Tuesday morning, 30° outside, looking east, the paper-mill's stack emitting a bit of smoke that from here seems to be drifting south. Up higher, crescent moon rising. Its crescent is a good time to view the moon and I'd take my telescope out but it's cold out there. Anyway, if I did I'd get invested in that and miss my zero eight hundred appointment at the dermatology clinic from whence, at this age, one never leaves undamaged. It must have been those growing up years at the beach in the sun. But when you're 9 and 11 and 15, who cares about when you're eighty something and counting!

Stop and go now. Breakfast when I return, as I don't want to antagonize the doctor by emitting deer sausage garlic while he zaps me. 

T