NY Fog


Question on the television screen "Are you ready for some football?" and yes. Even though red is generally my favorite color, today I'm ready to see Blue win their bowl game. 

Over nine hours sleep last night while the world revolved into a New Year for those of us who count this particular way, which is religiously based AD and for the modern revisionists CE. But even the NYDay mug of coffee - - it had three tsp dark maple syrup and huge glump whipped cream left over from Xmas Day, what a tasty way to resume living into the future -- has done zilch to wake me up, so I'm just tippy tapping the flexing digits until the fog clears. And no, it's no hangover, I gave up that nonsense at the Officers Club in GTMO in January 1959.

Was nearly out of paper for copier printer so bought two "new reams" at the BX yesterday after my "#4 haircut". As a going away gift from 2019, the barber told me that most airmen get into the chair and tell her what closeness they want; so to test it, she cut the right side of my head a #4, spun my chair round to face the mirror and asked if that was okay. Well, not wanting the right side to be a #4 and the left side to be a #3 or #2, I bought the #4. 

Anyway, whats a "new ream" of paper? Same economic principle as a gardenia 12 ounce pound of bacon and an alphabet 14 ounce pound of coffee, it's 400 sheets of paper instead of 500 at the same price. It isn't "Oh my goodness, what's the world coming to?", we got there a decade ago and still haven't changed direction. We're fooling ourselves, which reminds me of a Navy captain I once worked with in Ohio who, at one year's end when I was compiling statistics to send to our HQ in WashDC and went over to discuss it with him, remarked "I don't mind fooling headquarters, but we don't ever want to fool ourselves". Captain Bill Barnett. He was a really good guy. 

As for the 400 sheet ream of paper, I'm not fooled and I would use some of Carlos Eire's christological epithets except that some people who do not know me but think they do, even after all these years, still look to me as a holy man. As in "Oh, there's old Father Weller, careful of your language". Right. One truth is that I'm still and always a product of my day and age and upbringing, which is that I grew up around StAndrews fishermen and working in a fish house from age nine, and then was two decades in the Navy, so what you think you shouldn't even think in the presence of a priest, I have to stifle every time I open my mouth to speak or open a computer screen to type.

But back to some semblance of a point, a main reason for buying the printer paper is to print crossword puzzles for Linda. Been a couple weeks since, so I'll be digging into the NYT crossword puzzle archive back to the middle of December. For mental exercise  she does crosswords, which I cannot half finish even their Monday one, I blog and swear and teach the Bible.

New Year's Resolution: continue protecting my privacy, not so much from web pirates as from you. Yes, you.

Fireworks, pier park. Farewell, 2019. Don't call us, we'll call you.

RSF&PTL and may Leap Year end with a smile on my face.


European breakfast anchovies on rye bread.

TW