Monday ramble

What surfaces on my computer screen this morning, Japanese aircraft carrier Hiryū and a picture of her. 



She was damaged and set afire by attacking American warplanes in the Battle of Midway, and her command ordered her scuttled and sunk. At LOA 746 feet, displacement about 20,000 long tons, Hiryū was large for her day,



but not compared to USS Gerald R Ford LOA 1106 feet, about 100,000 long tons. I never served in a super carrier and don't need to go back and do that even if I could get back to age 30.

That was on my computer screen, so maybe I was studying there recently, but currently in my mind, early and pitch black dark, Monday is opening at 44F and clear, almost calm. I went out and scanned downtown StAndrews, no traffic on Beck Avenue. 

On line for today, continue work in my church office, which a wonderful cleaning crew arrived while I was there working this past Saturday morning, so the space may look quite different and encouraging when I get there later this morning. So far, I've unloaded and shelved four or five of more than a dozen large packing boxes of books. Why keep all those books I'm not sure, as almost everything I need anymore is available immediately on the internet. No point in trying to give them away, a priest's library is something else, not of general interest, would sit in a parish library for eons if I move them across the street; and every other priest has just as many or more and is not interested in adding some old colleague's outdated books. 

I have to keep resisting reading reviews then ordering more such books just to satisfy continuing interest and curiosity. At the moment Larry Hurtado's exploration that led him to conclude that Christians developed a high christology beginning not decades after Paul and the synoptics as most scholars believe and write, but immediately after the Resurrection. His conclusion is based on his research into early worship practices as opposed to the usual consideration of theologies apparent in the NT and in creeds and other writings. 

Working online, checking out one thing wanders wonderfully into another and more and more. I got to Hurtado from considering Ehrman's 2017 book How Jesus Became God. IDK why I worry with these things at this age? May yet order Hurtado's book on the subject, and maybe also his commentary on Mark, one of two favorite New Testament books. My other is Revelation. 

Moving toward dawn and time to start getting ready for the Monday.

T+