Saturday from my Sty

 


Supper recently, Linda was having a sandwich of cream cheese & pecans, and we thought back to our Old Days when cream cheese and pecans were spread on something we remember calling Boston Brown Bread. Readily available, it came in a can (bread in a can?!) and was a special treat with Philadelphia brand cream cheese, nuts or no. But, "Haven't seen it in years, must not be made anymore."

Another years ago story, January 23, 2011, at the hotel on Cleveland Clinic campus the evening before my open heart surgery, Linda told Tass something she wanted to get me, I don't remember what, maybe it was a shaving lotion of some sort, but Linda said it wasn't available. Tass said, "Mom, you can get anything on line," and she did, and I remember the conversation but not the product. 

So, I thought to check online for the Boston Brown Bread. Sure enough, there it is, two types, Regular and Raisins, so I ordered both. The ad tries to persuade you to order the baked beans too, but I resisted that; maybe another Time. 

The pic above is Regular, but we are working our way through the Raisins can, half-inch slices smeared with cream cheese and pecan bits sprinkled on top. Mash the pecan bits in so they stick and don't fall off.

It's good, the memory is returning. 

Breakfast this morning, filet of fried mullet from Captain's Table. I remember my father talking about fresh caught mullet, fried, and hot black coffee. So, hot & black with my mullet sandwich this morning.

+++++++++

As I think I mentioned, yesterday was a four-thing day for us, turned into an exhausting five-thing day but climaxed with sushi and a cold one in a tall green bottle. I have two favorite beers, one an Italian beer in a green bottle, the other a Czech beer in a brown bottle. Thought I was down to the last of them but, straightening up the pantry while we waited for Kristen to drive home from Atlanta, Linda came across a six pack of each, so I'm good. At about one beer a month, that'll last me into Leap Year.

++++++++

Saturday morning always starts with a handful of pills from Mr Pill Fish, including this one day a week a prescription green capsule with high concentration of Vitamin D. Then, lots of things I could do here in 7H on any Saturday, but today've narrowed it to one, which involves moving furniture and working a step or two up on a ladder. In extreme old age, falling is an ongoing risk of injury or death, and, there being No Fool like an Old Fool, only old fools work on a ladder - - so it'll be with extra care and not high, and our ladder has the hold handle for both right and left hand. Two steps up, max.

Also, not a very neat person whom Linda sometimes refers to as Pig Pen, I need to clear the little sty around my chair table/desk by the bayside window in the living room. I have a perfectly good work area in my office/study/den, but it's lonely in there, and cold because the HVAC hits that room first and strongest. There's a marginally comfortable "hide-a-bed" chair in there for Joe to sleep on when he's here from his current home in Louisville, but the room is drafty and cold. My chair sits me high at my table, with a great north view of downtown St Andrews, the Harbour Village garden, Uncle Ernie's, Shrimp Boat, Captain's Table, the Chevron station, Hunt's Oyster Bar with that strange new structure they're building that completely encloses their little restaurant building, Enzo's Pizza, and Beck Avenue all the way north to the red light at St Andrew Baptist Church. 

But as I say, it's cold and lonely in there. And sitting here in the living room, as I look out to the south across St Andrews Bay, there goes a ship on its regular shuttle of shipping containers between here and Progreso.

Life is Good, RSF&PTL