grouper sandwich


Breakfast: salmon sandwich. What I really wanted is a grouper sandwich at Bayou Joe's, though I don't even know whether Bayou Joe's made it through and after the hurricane, I haven't been down there since October. But judging by the huge pile of sailboats, yachts and other boats jammed up against the inside Cove corner of Tarpon Dock Bridge right after the storm, I don't see how Bayou Joe's could have made it. 

At any event, I'm here this morning, not there, and in the refrigerator there's a serving of pan cooked salmon left over from yesterday's lunch which will have to serve for grouper. You eat what you want, when I was a boy growing up here, there was basically mullet, red snapper, grouper, spanish mackerel and speckled trout on our table, no such thing as salmon except as a picture on the label of a can; and it was so costly that when we had canned fish it was tuna, as in tunafishcasserole, or tuna cakes about the size of your crab cake.

So, salmon is an outsiders' fish that to this day I don't feel right eating and enjoying unless I'm in Seattle. The first whole salmon I ever saw or heard of was on the buffet at the admiral's quarters in 1971. The admiral was from Everett, Washington, and when he had an event he had a whole fresh salmon flown in from the pacific northwest. Served on a long platter, poached, bowl of mayonnaise beside it. 

Otherwise, grouper, black grouper because red grouper has the worms. Grouper, red snapper, mullet or spanish. Pop, my grandfather, used to like mackerel made into cakes, which my mother did for him now and then.



Foggy out this morning. Thick as pea soup but white not green.

W