Storm Stories


Last night after everyone left (Lilly's birthday party), we watched on NetFlix the last bit of the show "Hitler's Dark Charisma" and then I got ready for bed. Before though, I thought to refresh childhood memories of Grand Ridge, Florida, where I used to go with Mom and Pop and my cousin Ann several times a year. It was before January 1947, when Mom died.

Mom had two sisters living there, Aunt Nell and Aunt Alice, who had married brothers in the King family. The one day visits, Saturday or Sunday, we'd drive up, the four of us, in Pop's car, a 1937 Chevrolet Master "coach touring" (two door sedan with a built in trunk instead of spare tire on the back). I've written about the trip and visits here once or twice before in the nearly nine years I've been writing posts for this almost daily blog. The reed organ at Aunt Nell's house, and the house, barn, barnyard and fields and especially the indescribable dining room table spread of food for dinner at Aunt Alice's. I loved going, one reason, I loved my grandmother Mom dearly, loved being around her, she made me feel loved and welcome and comfortable. 

At any event, Grand Ridge, I thought to check online. Didn't remember any "town" as such from the 1940s and with a population still under a thousand, I reckon it must still be pretty much a farming area. However, what I came across was not about Grand Ridge, but newpaper accounts from folks right after Hurricane Michael. Including the family of three who quickly realized their house was in danger of collapsing on them and so made their way outside and rode out the storm in the cab of the bulldozer in their front yard.

My blog this morning then is to copy and paste five links to Tallahassee Democrat articles that I came across and got diverted to while trying to find out about a place I knew more than seventy years ago. The storm is part of us for life now, will never dim from memories, and it's worth remembering that we right here on the coast were not the only ones hit. 

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2018/10/12/hurricane-michael-like-bomb-went-off-jackson-county/1615834002/

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2018/10/12/after-collision-hurricane-michael-obituary-marianna-knew-mark-hinson/1617013002/

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2018/10/12/hurricane-michael-aftermath-damage-greensboro-sawdust-gadsden-county-florida/1607686002/

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2018/10/19/calhoun-county-towns-only-now-getting-aid-after-hurricane-michael/1682376002/

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2018/10/20/hurricane-michael-family-rides-out-storm-bulldozer/1697845002/