It's what's for breakfast


Years ago, he's 35 now and he must have been six or seven at the time, Nicholas used to come spend Time with me in Apalachicola. His school vacation time, Christmas break, spring break, summer vacation. It's all cherished memories, but for me, the best was as long as possible, and a few years he stayed with me his entire summer vacation. Wherever he was, I'd drive down and get him and bring him home. It was a joyful time of life for me, as indeed were all those years in Apalachicola and loving the folks at Trinity Church. All over town really, population of some 2,500, you get to know or know of most everyone in town. 

Once, I even went to his last day of school in South or Central Florida and we drove straight back. Another time he was just staying two months, and I was getting depressed because it was running out and I had to take him home after church the coming Sunday. We were riding around town in my old green Ford F-100 pickup and he says, "Granddaddy! Guess what!?! When I talked with my mom last night, she said I can stay another month!" Suddenly my day dawned bright and clear. First grandchild, he was a joy beyond imagining. 

Anyway, what got me here was thinking that though this is my blog, it's nevertheless linked on our parish website, and I probably ought to effect some measure of piety. At least for the Duration, for example, I've forsworn my resort to language of the bosun's locker. It's a bit stifling, but I'm hanging in there pretending it's as easy as giving up chocolate for Lent. It isn't.

So, sometimes as Nicholas was going up the stairs in the rectory, I'd hunch over and sneak along behind him like a werewolf about to pounce, and when he'd spin around and catch me at it, I'd beam a huge beatific smile of the innocent. One time, without looking around he said, "Give it up, Granddaddy." And, turning to face me and seeing my pious smile added, "and wipe off your church face."

So, for the Duration, on my blog I'm wearing my church face. Mostly. It may not always be pulpit language, but for the most part I'll try not to go any further down than Sunday School behavior. Because after all, everybody who reads this didn't grow up around foul mouthed fishermen and cap it off with 20 years in the Navy.

Still, as I say, it's my blog, and from time to time I may slip and say whatever I gardenia well please. Maybe this is a morning, so stop here if you wish.

All my growing up years and yea until age forty or so, I was a conservative, traditionalist Episcopalian. So much so that in the late 1970s and early 1980s when TEC revised the prayerbook and published a replacement (we were living in Pennsylvania at the time, I was retired from the Navy and living my workweek in WashingtonDC), I left the Episcopal Church and started going to - - when I was in Harrisburg on Sundays, driving 60 miles or so over to a breakaway group that met in a Lutheran church in Lancaster; and when I was in WashDC on Sundays worshiping with a breakaway group meeting in a Swedenborgian church downtown - - any group that had broken away from TEC in order to continue worshiping with the 1928 BCP. Otherwise in WashDC, alternating between two Anglo-Catholic parishes, St Paul's K Street in Foggy Bottom (Rite One) and Ascension & St Agnes up on Embassy Row (1928 BCP).

Why am I remembering this and writing about it again? Be dandelion if I know. 

Oh yes. Because I once was That way but now I'm This way, and I'll get to it. 

To sum up the above, I gave up going to breakaway churches once I realized that the folks there were filled with hatred of TEC because of its changing the prayerbook. I couldn't hate. I could be upset, even angry about it, but I couldn't hate. For one thing, everyone else in my Pennsylvania household was still going to our local Episcopal parish on Sunday and participating in weekday events there. I was the odd one. So, I came home. And in Time got called back into the vocation I had realized since I was ten years old but had renounced as a college sophomore, went off to seminary, was ordained an Episcopal deacon and priest, served some year as a parish priest, and here I am now. 

I've been an Episcopalian longer than you have, and I have a viewpoint. That TEC is a movement of love, not of exactitude, dogma, and sin. Notwithstand the effort we make in Lent to examine ourselves. We do that, and we come out feeling pretty good. Not perfect, but loved and accepted just as we are, the way we are - - to which there are so many facets that I'm not going there this morning. From staunch conservative traditionalism, I find myself looking around and seeing that I've wandered into a camp that calls itself Progressive Christianity. I didn't join or even come in through the front gate; I just woke up here maybe forty years ago. Looking at my whole self, not only the religious, I remember the day President Reagan, for whom I had voted, sent American Marines to Lebanon and I was appalled at his incomprehensibly over the top stupidity; but he was my President. However, a few days later, when the Marines were attacked while asleep in their barracks, killing 241 American servicemen, I forswore Reagan and his kind forever. Eventually, realizing that if I could become so uncomfortable politically, then I was no longer at home with any of my certainties, I began to examine and reexamine and contemplate my life's mind. 

My certainties are gone, as washed away as is whatever sin I had before my rector stands up and pronounces my Absolution and then wishes me the Peace of the Lord. William Alexander Percy wrote that "the peace of God, it is no peace, but strife closed in the sod" and I'm okay there. 

Back to why am I writing this? Every single day, lots of stuff comes in my email. One is "Patheos", a consortium of writings from various thoughtful Christian groups. Usually I delete it unread. Sometimes I scan it. Very occasionally I stop and read something that catches my interest. One was this week, a piece (copy & pasted below, scroll down) that if I were Irenaeus I might title "Against Certainties". At 85 remains to be seen, but at 84 it's where I am!! 

RSF&PTL
T+

What Non-Christians Want Christians To Hear