Peter again


Our responsive psalm for next Sunday, Easter 3A, 26 October 2020, is Psalm 116 verses 1-3, 10-17. Why the lectionary framers omit verses 4-9 I cannot tell, but their reasons are not always clear for what they do.

What bothers me about Psalm 116 is verse 13, "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his servants"
יָקָר, בְּעֵינֵי יְהוָה--    הַמָּוְתָה, לַחֲסִידָיו.

where for יְהוָה y'Vah the reader would read adonai or maybe haShem, in English, Lord. So, our death is precious in the Lord's sight. An odd expression, it brings one up short. 

I prefer the rendition in the Good News Bible, "How painful it is to the Lord when one of his people dies!" although when I think of it, the theology of it would not seem to confirm our modern Christian view of what happens to us at death, "this day you will be with me in paradise" does it, rather that at death we are lost to the Lord, unless it means to say that the Lord is pained along with those of us who grieve? IDK.

At any event, to omit verses 4-9 makes no sense to me, rather guts the psalm, in which the psalmist is praising the Lord for saving her/him from death. And the psalm responds to the Acts reading about God exalting Jesus from death. 

Below are (a) Psalm 116 as appointed for us to read Sunday in response to the Acts lesson, and (b) Psalm 116 (Good News).

Oh, I need a picture, don't I. So there's a goofy one at the top to get your attention, and one below for you to color. Be sure to color the sky blue. Peter preaching to the crowd.



  


1I love the LORD, because he has heard the voice of
                             my supplication, *
    because he has inclined his ear to me whenever
                             I called upon him.
2The cords of death entangled me;
the grip of the grave took hold of me; *
    I came to grief and sorrow.
3Then I called upon the Name of the LORD: *
    "O LORD, I pray you, save my life."

10How shall I repay the LORD *
    for all the good things he has done for me?
11I will lift up the cup of salvation *
    and call upon the Name of the LORD.


12I will fulfill my vows to the LORD *
    in the presence of all his people.
13Precious in the sight of the LORD *
    is the death of his servants.
14O LORD, I am your servant; *
    I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;
    you have freed me from my bonds.
15I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving *
    and call upon the Name of the LORD.
16I will fulfill my vows to the LORD *
    in the presence of all his people,
17In the courts of the LORD'S house, *
    in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
    Hallelujah!




Psalm 116 Good News Translation (GNT)

116 I love the Lord, because he hears me;
    he listens to my prayers.
He listens to me
    every time I call to him.
The danger of death was all around me;
    the horrors of the grave closed in on me;
    I was filled with fear and anxiety.
Then I called to the Lord,
    “I beg you, Lord, save me!”
The Lord is merciful and good;
    our God is compassionate.
The Lord protects the helpless;
    when I was in danger, he saved me.
Be confident, my heart,
    because the Lord has been good to me.
The Lord saved me from death;
    he stopped my tears
    and kept me from defeat.
And so I walk in the presence of the Lord
    in the world of the living.
10 I kept on believing, even when I said,
    “I am completely crushed,”
11 even when I was afraid and said,
    “No one can be trusted.”
12 What can I offer the Lord
    for all his goodness to me?
13 I will bring a wine offering to the Lord,
    to thank him for saving me.
14 In the assembly of all his people
    I will give him what I have promised.
15 How painful it is to the Lord
    when one of his people dies!

16 I am your servant, Lord;
    I serve you just as my mother did.
You have saved me from death.
17 I will give you a sacrifice of thanksgiving
    and offer my prayer to you.
18-19 In the assembly of all your people,
    in the sanctuary of your Temple in Jerusalem,
    I will give you what I have promised.
Praise the Lord!


Boulder County Fairgrounds Osprey Cam

She has laid a couple more eggs to replace the three that were killed by the recent snowstorm and freeze.


And this is where they live: Longmont, Colorado