Tarpon Dock

 


Not ready this morning to proceed into Chapter Two of my sharpest personal memories, but good friend Mike McKenzie sent me some pics related to Chapter One. The scenic one is above. Another I went back and inserted into the text, taken from Tarpon Dock Bridge, showing the Standard Oil station; their sign is clear:


There was a period when our father worked at that station, and I remember him in their uniform. The picture is taken from the west railing of the Bridge, facing toward town, the Panama Machinery & Supply in the background, Fishing boats of the Time tied up at Tarpon Dock. It's the "new" Tarpon Dock Bridge, my early memories are of the old wooden bridge that, along with the wooden bridge at 4th Street, spoke out with a loud rumble that we could hear from our house every time a car crossed. A "period" thing related to a certain Time in my personal history. Carl and Robert and Scotty also lived on Massalina Bayou, and I'd be surprised if they don't also remember hearing the wooden plank boards rumble. The marker on the new Tarpon Dock Bridge shows its date, I think it's 1942 but not sure. 


And there's another picture of the bridge that Mike sent, a really clear photo from the Bay side facing into Massalina Bayou. 

In the top picture, seeing the Captain Anderson party boat brings to mind going down to see the party boats coming in late afternoons, with Red Snapper and Grouper hanging from the edge of the boat roofs, signaling a successful catch. Also reminds me that Captain Anderson's restaurant at PCB is now open again for the season! My earliest memory of Captain Anderson's restaurant would be from having been there for a seafood dinner with family, either in 1963 just before we left for Japan, or in 1966 just after we returned. My recollection, it was different then, a more modest place, maybe built out over the water? Sarah will remember.

What's my favorite at Captain Anderson's? The whole Red Snapper, cooked on the grill and served in a long white platter, covered with green onion and swimming in butter sauce. But we've not been there since maybe before Hurricane Michael, and the long term chef retired since then, so I don't know what they're serving these days. 


Here's a link https://www.museumsinthesea.com/tarpon/history.htm to history of SS Tarpon, which until she sank, made regular voyage serving the Gulf Coast area, with stops in Pensacola, St Andrews, Panama City, and Carrabelle. Tarpon Dock Bridge is called that because it's where SS Tarpon tied up when she paused at Panama City. This picture:


is of her at the dock in St Andrews.

In June 1911 my grandmother went to Pensacola to give birth to my father, and soon after brought him home to St Andrews aboard SS Tarpon.

Time for me to contemplate breakfast, and then we may make a quick trip out to The Carousel at PCB. 


Thursday: RSF&PTL

T