Amos 5:19 et al

Like it or lump it, we are in that Time of year when wisdom means keeping an eye on the tropics

because anything can and does happen. Category 5 this morning, Hurricane Beryl doesn't appear to threaten us, but there's Disturbance X following along behind. 

And of course the Evil Eye always on the prowl waiting for someone to be too sure of themselves. Hurricane Season is As if a man did flee from a lion, and a bear met him; or went into the house, and leaned his hand on the wall, and a serpent bit him. 

How, when, and by whom is a hurricane triggered? It may read like nonsense, but you can believe me on this, I'm telling the truth on this one. On a seemingly innocuous television weather report, a meteorologist turns from facing the camera, to face the huge weather map on a screen, points to an image of a storm, and moves a hand counterclockwise. That's what does it, that's all it takes. Weather forecasters are powerful wizards.

Years ago, and I've reported this before, I watched and heard as a TV weatherman pointed to a storm and said "We'll keep an eye on that to make sure it doesn't come up here." No, I'm serious, I watched and heard him say exactly that. Obviously, these people have hidden powers. Like when a priest waves a hand and declares your sins forgiven and you're as good for Heaven as if you were already there. 

Like getting the secret handshake in my fraternity initiation (which I still remember, and like when the bishop & other priests mash on your head while the bishop chants something), there must be a secret ritual when meteorology students graduate and are licensed or commissioned. Mark my Word, at some point, a weatherperson will, seemingly innocently, point to X and make a backwards circle with his hand, and power is communicated. It's bad enough through summer and fall, pray that it may not happen in winter.

But I digress, don't I. During this part of liturgical Ordinary Time, the Season after Pentecost Year B, the church is reading through 2 Corinthians. When studying someone's writing it's important to read the whole piece in order to understand what is being said; and St Paul's writings often are opaque enough without the lectionary framers breaking it up into unintelligible bits and snippets. Retired and still getting used to the idea, I'm done, but most of us seldom preach on the lessons from Paul. For decades in my pulpit years I preached mostly from the gospel readings; then as things changed within me, seek the truth come whence it may cost what it will - - the most helpful thing I learned at Cove School was that a teachers' kindness makes all the difference in the world to a child, the most helpful thing I learned at Bay High was math, the most helpful course I took in college was summer 1956 when I went to summer school at UF because Linda was transferring there taking our underclassmen math course so that in the fall semester she could start as a junior and I took Typing-101 to have something to do, the most important course I took in graduate school at Michigan was Business Ethics, and the most helpful thing I learned in theological seminary was from the inscription in the lintel over the library door - - in years of seeking, I shifted my preaching focus to look for a story or other pericope so I could do a Bible study of sorts instead of a salvation proclamation of faith, hope and assurance. Some people may have noticed the shift, but only one person ever commented on it to me. At any event, here's Paul for the upcoming Sunday:

2 Corinthians 12:2-10

I know a person in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven whether in the body or out of the body I do not know God knows.

And I know that such a person whether in the body or out of the body I do not know God knows was caught up into Paradise and heard things that are not to be told that no mortal is permitted to repeat. On behalf of such a one I will boast but on my own behalf I will not boast except of my weaknesses. But if I wish to boast I will not be a fool for I will be speaking the truth. But I refrain from it so that no one may think better of me than what is seen in me or heard from me even considering the exceptional character of the revelations. Therefore to keep me from being too elated a thorn was given me in the flesh a messenger of Satan to torment me to keep me from being too elated. Three times I appealed to the Lord about this that it would leave me but he said to me “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.” So I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ for whenever I am weak then I am strong.

++++++++

Caught up to the third heaven: Paul is often writing to justify himself and his call to be an apostle over against something or other that his opponents have claimed about themselves: at least one scholar, including whoever wrote the footnotes in my Study Bible, suggests that an opponent has claimed an out of body experience and having a vision - - something that would add awe and empowerment and impress the audience. So, Paul responds by telling his own experience, which he would not have mentioned except that people seem so impressed with what Paul's opponent said. Paul says that such a thing is nothing to brag about, and that all he will brag about is his weakness, including that "thorn in the flesh" that scholars have puzzled over these centuries, saying that the Lord used Paul's weaknesses to show the strength of Christ working through him. Paul, in essence, disclaims all power and glory for himself and credits God alone.

If I were preaching about that, next Sunday's lesson from 2 Corinthians, that's probably about what I would say.

Anyway, enough 

RSF&PTL

T88&c


images pinched online