Thursday 20240711

 


This is Linda's birthday week, we had Indian lamb dishes at Holi on Tuesday, yesterday we pan-fried catfish filets here at home, sort of relaxed today, and on calendar for tomorrow morning is driving over to Apalachicola for the weekend and back on Sunday afternoon. Apalachicola is a place of the heart. When we sold the Old Place and were contemplating the rest of life, moving back to Apalachicola was on the short list, and again after Category 5 Hurricane Michael wreaked havoc with Harbour Village and 7H in 2018. 

We lived in Apalachicola from July 1984 through September 1998, why would I NOT move back to Apalachicola? Well, I would, in a heartbeat. But to leave 7H I'd have to live right on the water there, either on the Bay or over on Magnolia Bluff or on the Creek or River. Not at St George Island, it's too bleak for me. Although I'm looking forward to a meal at the Blue Parrot, probably Saturday.

God willing and Jesus tarries. Two ancient people on a car trip is shaky enough, but we like to do it a couple Times a year. Linda shops and I eat - - and watch the water traffic on Scipio Creek from the screen porch of our hotel room.

What's up? As of this morning I have four pounds to lose before my annual doctor appointment early next month. I like to get within a pound or two of my target so he doesn't try to insist that I come every six months instead of once a year. Three and a half pounds actually. Seeing that, apparently unlike most people my age, I have no pain except that blasted sciatica visitation for a couple weeks every few years, the appointment is basically checking my weight and my bloodwork, listening to my heart and lungs, and renewing my med prescriptions. I like to leave well enough alone, sleeping dogs lie, and that, nomesane?

Reading Tabor's "Genesis" and also scanning Revelation as prep in case it works out to do the Revelation study with the adult Sunday school class sometime this fall. It'll be fair timing, considering that the Lectionary will have us reading through Revelation again next Easter Season, spring 2025. So, how is this retirement? It isn't, but maybe I'll do this one last thing, eh? If I'm to do a Bible study my first preference is Mark, which is loaded with fascinating literary discoveries; but Revelation, oh well.

+++++++

We had a lovely rainbow here yesterday, which Bob Taylor, an accomplished photographer here in HV, caught on camera from the west tower, and posted on the HV Forum page. Looking east, the view from the west tower sidewalk is magnificent. 

Pax et al

T88&c