Saturday evening after the storm

How to put this - - borrowing text and images from an online thinking site - - "Human beings are alive for only a blip in cosmic history, confined to a tiny planet around an unremarkable star within a modest, run-of-the-mill galaxy" of some 400 billion suns like our own, "within our vast cosmos" of trillions of galaxies. And yet, even at our still crocodilian phase of living selfishly, greedily, jealously, viciously, suspiciously, supposedly on our way to some likeness of God, image of Divinity, how remarkable we are, able to figure all this out.

If only we could have a broad enough perspective to live peaceably with each other on this tiny planet.

It may be arrogant even to think we have a mission here, but what is our role, "why are we here?" is a question. Are we accidental as seems most likely, or do we indeed have a purpose? Is our role in the Universe to think, to perceive for some reason (and if so, what reason?) or is it simply to be fruitful and multiply as just one of innumerable evolving creatures - - living things?

If you think, then you are on track; but if you know, then you are mistaken.  

+++++++

What do I believe? Not, as Steve Jobs said, "... dogma, which is the result of other peoples' thinking." I work at doing my own thinking, I work at it. It's a life's work, a calling, a vocation, and I'm satisfied, okay with it, if answers elude me. My role is to seek - - what? Well, IDK, Truth?, perhaps. Seek the Truth ... cost what it will, where the question that stirs me - - startling in that it comes from the other side - - is "What is Truth?"


And - - your God is too small, so take the risk of finding a larger God as you seek, e.g., I like the word Pantokrator, which has greater potential for the sense of it than its ordinary usage. It could mean Whoever or Whatever had the thought, word, and deed of "yeh-hi" and an eternal Multiverse instantly is and always has been. In my growing up years, our common phrase was, "As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be," but whether it "ever shall be" may depend on whether Pantokrator continues speaking, saying "yeh-hi." If I were Pantokrator I'd likely go quiet, but I'm not; YHYH, יִֽהְיֶה He Is. Me, IDK, in fact, I know nothing. I think, I seek, I observe, but I see little and I know nothing.

++++++++

Saturday evening, July 13 at Water Street Hotel, Apalachicola. Plans for tomorrow thwarted because we're on the third floor and the elevator quit and won't be back in operation before Monday, and the prospect of dealing with it early Sunday morning, at this age, was overwhelming, so change of plans. 

Top image: from here, looking west and northwest into the sunset. The water tower. 

++++++++

Early, I had an involved blogpost exploring tomorrow morning's lectionary story about king David and his wife Michal, a daughter of king Saul. In posting it, I made one careless wrong move and it vanished irretrievably into the ether. Maybe I'll revive it tomorrow, Sunday, morning with hot & black and a bite of pastry. Maybe not.

++++++++

Today we went to the Farmers' Market at Scipio Creek Marina, visited with a couple of friends from The Old Time, then Kristen arrived from PCB and we drove out to SGI for midday dinner at the Blue Parrot. My treat? a dozen farmed cold salty oysters from Rattlesnake Cove (you can read about them online), so elegantly scrumptious that I cannot wait to go again. And their premier seafood platter that's billed, "Seafood City, Baby!" which I always order when we're there. 

But I wander as usual: mox nix mir, it's my Blog, eh?

RSF&PTL
T88&c