Coming Up!


Clear at the moment, five o’clock, 72 F and 67%. More perfect and cool early mornings this time next month, late September? Google weather says today will slip down to 68 F by seven o’clock, then start up, 86 F by noon or so. Pleasant enough out here on the front porch, borderline sticky. Weather page has one of these


for today and another one for tomorrow.

Just before noon yesterday Joe wanted to drive out to Pepper Palace at Pier Park. Lunch was to be leftovers, so Linda stuck it back in the refrigerator and before going to PP at PP we had seafood at the Sandbar, on 79 at “the Y” just a block back from Front Beach Road. Linda had grouper sandwich, Joe had oyster basket, instead of my usual steamed oysters and steamed royal red shrimp I had a seafood caesar salad with clams, oysters, shrimp. Last time, I went there with a friend and he had that salad. It looked good and was, but arrived twice the size I remembered, enlarging today’s luncheon selection of leftovers.

My Sunday to preach. Sermon or homily? Sunday before last at Trinity, Apalachicola we were just about to start the eight o’clock service when Frank, another retired commander who started helping me there at eight o’clock when he retired from the Navy twenty or so years ago, told me the rector doesn’t preach from the pulpit at eight o’clock, but goes down into the center aisle for a chit-chat about the lessons. On the spur of the moment I tried it, uneasy about my experience that any fool preacher can shorten a twelve-minute prepared sermon into a thirty-minute ramble. First time I’ve ever re-prepared my sermon on the way down the aisle in procession.

Four weeks from tomorrow, September 25 we’ll start our new Wednesday morning and evening events at Holy Nativity. Replacing the Tuesday morning and Wednesday afternoon Bible seminars that I had in prior years, we’ll have healing eucharist at 11:30 followed by lunch with Bible study and adjourning promptly at 12:30. The Bible studies probably will focus on the Bible readings for each upcoming Sunday.

Also starting September 25, our informal Wednesday evening events will begin with eucharist at 5:30, supper after. It's going to be fun, and I don't recall ever before looking forward so much to a new fall program.

Pinkish gray sky, partly cloudy, 68 F and humidity 95%, flat Bay.  

TW