The Wings of Dawn

No WiFi here, well there is but not for the retreatants, it's silence both outer and inner. A concomitant challenge is to type competently on my iPad with the tiny hunt and peck keyboard, eh, so as to be able to post via 3G. It's all cheating of sorts, isn't it.

A commonality is surfacing. This is my third retreat this summer, and the first Scripture assigned at each retreat has been, including here this first evening
Isaiah 43:1-7 and
Psalm 139

Ok, good verses, good Scripture. In the renewal movement of the Episcopal Church we have a song based on Isaiah 43, "fear not, for I have redeemed you, I have called you by name; I have called you by name -- you are mine." if you know it, hum it as your visit with God this morning. "... If you walk through the fire you will not be burned ..." and so on. It's a good song. It's God expressing His love for each one of us.  Good stuff.

Psalm 139 is never far from my mind anyway. I enjoy using it at funerals, especially when we scatter ashes on the sea. "if I take the wings of the morning and go to the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me fast."

The Catholic bible we are using here has it, "If I fly with the wings of dawn and alight beyond the sea ..."

Wow. The wings of dawn. It leaves me breathless.

Tom+