zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz


ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Saving several emails to read later, a delanceyplace.com piece on the Bill of Rights. And looking forward to this morning’s word.a.day after last week’s run of great words that were totally new. Not sure how to thread anatopism and allochthonous into conversation or text, but words are as worth discovering for their own sake as trying a new flavor of ice cream. After supper in Apalachicola on Friday evening, we went to Piggly Wiggly for ice cream and the girls selected vanilla chocolate chip cookie dough that was good trying a couple of bites even though I went back to homemade vanilla. From last week, however, quaternary could be useful in theological discussion about exalting the Theotokos into hypostatic union. At one of my Ignatian retreats this summer my spiritual director spoke of the Holy Spirit as Mary’s husband, and when I questioned, it was affirmed; so I reckon nothing is off the table. 

In my inbox, also saving the Jonathan Turley column to look at later and see if I want to read it. When subscribing to him I thought there might be a column or two a week, but it’s two or three a day. Billable hours?

Distracting this morning was discovering and remembering again that when you want to check something, the various Greek texts of the New Testament that are available online are not all the same; which makes for interesting further checking and discussion, doesn’t it. Just this morning, looking at 1 John 5:7-8 is a case. NRSV reads, “There are three that testify: the Spirit and the water and the blood, and these three agree.” KJV reads, “For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.” One scholar I looked at this morning said that most scholars accept the KJV; I don’t think so. Looking at readily available online Greek texts that are commonly used, Westcott-Hort 1881 says, “οτι τρεις εισιν οι μαρτυρουντες το πνευμα και το υδωρ και το αιμα και οι τρεις εις το εν εισιν,” which supports the NRSV, while Stephanos 1550 reads, “οτι τρεις εισιν οι μαρτυρουντες εν τω ουρανω ο πατηρ ο λογος και το αγιον πνευμα και ουτοι οι τρεις εν εισιν και τρεις εισιν οι μαρτυρουντες εν τη γη το πνευμα και το υδωρ και το αιμα και οι τρεις εις το εν εισιν” which supports King James. When someone in class asks a question about something like this I can assign the question to be researched and reported back at the next class meeting; but when it comes up here at home I have to look it up myself. 

It’s not even four o’clock in the morning, why is my mind doing this to me instead of dreaming of sugarplums?

OK, I glanced: not going to read Turley’s guest column on Saleh v. Bush. I’m with the plaintiff and see no point in stirring my certitudes. In some future age there will be a Nuremberg recidivus that sets it all straight.

It’s called the Comma Johanneum, reportedly not in the original Textus Receptus or Vulgate, subsequently added to support trinitarian claims, and Google yields 31,200 results for checking out. Starting, no Greek scholar, I think I would translate μαρτυρουντες as "bear witness," which I think, μαρτυρ or martyr, "bear witness" is better than either "testify" or "bear record." And ... Yawn. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

TW+