... a fly parked ...

What is Truth?

There are differences between truth and what we know. They are not the same, though we think they are. Growing up in the South with segregated schools, society, buses, movie theaters, dating, marriage, restaurants, neighborhoods, water fountains, restrooms ... I knew only our way of life, and I knew that it was good. Right and good. It never occurred to me that I was not right, that I was wrong, that we were wrong, not only factually wrong, which is OK, but morally, ethically wrong, which is not OK, that our knowledge and way of life was hurtful to others; it never occurred to me: I was blind, ignorant beyond naive. Along with the society around me, I was “He who knows not and knows not he knows not; he is a fool: shun him.” 

Certain of nothing anymore, I’m not certain that I know much better now, but I am very different now, and I know things differently. It comes to mind with the celebration of Nelson Mandela’s life that the white people of South Africa also knew their system of apartheid was right and good. Raised in the South in the old-time, I know just how that is. I am thankful that their system in South Africa has changed and that ours also has changed and continues to change. And that I continue to change. Thankful that I’m still alive consciously to experience knowledge evolving as we grow from knowledge toward Truth. 

It’s really about Phil Robertson, though, with "a fly parked" on his long beard, the first hint of being ridiculed, which simple, trusting Phil likely never suspected. I can’t hate or condemn Phil for his simple ignorance or for his simple assumption -- that his guest would naturally agree with what he, Phil, knows as so obvious to himself in his moral blindness. Nor can I feel sorry for him -- which would be a form of arrogance, though I might feel sorry for the man who ridiculed him. Phil is just the way he is, I know Phil, I deal with Phils everyday as a minister in a society that is still coming out of the knowledge that I grew up knowing. I’ve been there too, doubtless still am in ways I may never realize. Duck Dynasty? Not a TV watcher, I never heard of the show or the Robertson family until yesterday’s TV, newspaper, Facebook explosions. So I read the GQ piece by Drew Magary. It's gross, appalling, common, uncouth, but what did anyone expect, for God’s sake?! I am reminded of the popular blackface "minstrel shows" of years ago, we had them at Cove School, and laughed and enjoyed and chuckled knowingly. That they were offensive and hurtful never occurred to us, would have astonished us. It wasn't just me, or The South, does anybody remember how the nation loved Al Jolson and laughed with him? Today the idea is so offensive that I hesitate to put his picture on my blog. 
Time makes ancient good uncouth. Does Phil R have the right to his views, free speech, self-expression? That’s not what it’s about, it's not about "rights," which is our American obsession. It's not about rights, and it's not about being politically correct; it's about insensitive, blind, staggering ignorance; it’s about what we are. What we see, perceive, understand and know not only as humor, not only as Christians, but what we know and live as love of neighbor and common human decency


Reading the GQ piece a couple of times now compels me to examine myself to watch, to search for what I know that may be different from what other people know, searching for my simple ignorance against Truth. I don’t have to wait for Lent to do that. Though it's hidden in the shadows of our Christmas tree, and drowned out by the blare of "Have a holly, jolly Christmas" and the noise of people squabbling about whether to say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays," Advent is a season for self examination and repentance. Knowledge and Truth can be very different. Watch. Be alert. To self.

James Russell Lowell, 1845. It's a shame we've trashed our hymn that we lifted from his poem,


...
New occasions teach new duties, time makes ancient good uncouth,
They must upward still and onward, who would keep abreast of truth.

Though the cause of evil prosper, yet the truth alone is strong;
Though her portion be the scaffold, and upon the throne be wrong;
Yet that scaffold sways the future, and behind the dim unknown,
Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above His own.


TW+