XX or XY

During one of my Ignatian retreats last summer, I read of the Roman Catholic Church returning to the “I believe” form of the Nicene Creed. It is the creed we said in the Episcopal Church going back to the 1549 Book of Common Prayer; the same as the alternative “or this” form provided in the 1979 prayerbook, page 327, "I believe" but “consubstantial with the Father” it says instead of “being of one substance with the Father.”

“I believe” instead of “We believe” seems to move the onus from the community of faith to the individual worshiper. Do I have a preference? Makes no difference, whatever the community stands and says, I will stand and say. And I'm not into sophomorically clamping my mouth shut at the hard parts, I’ll say it all. It isn’t all scriptural but dating to the General Council of 325 A.D., the creed, which is Tradition, is arguably older than the New Testament canon of Scripture. Perhaps the theological order we cite should be Tradition, Scripture and Reason.

What I believe stirs every Advent when the church looks to celebrate both the Incarnation of God in the Nativity of Jesus of Nazareth and the Second Coming as in “He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead.” Do I believe that? It’s part of the Tradition passed on to me, that I embrace, it’s not a matter of what I believe. Or is it?! If it’s offered up as “I believe” instead of “We believe” maybe it is a matter of what I believe.

The creed becomes mine at baptism. Just like the Bible stories: they became mine when I became a Christian at baptism. All of them, Bible and Creed, Creed and Bible. Do I actually -- believe -- all of these things? Well, I certainly enjoy them, all of them. Creed, Bible stories, and of course the music, the hymns -- especially at Christmas, the hymns. I love hearing the stories and I love singing the songs. And the stories are certainly more real to me than “‘twas the night before Christmas and all through the house ...” Anyway, what’s the point of asking if I believe them? I love them. The Beatles, “Love is all you need.”

I do not believe that my salvation, whatever that may mean, depends on my believing something or on saying I believe something; or on doing something. To believe that would be to embrace a religion of works instead of “by grace through faith.” Besides, “just because I believe something, that don’t make it so,” believing that something is true has nothing to do with whether or not it is true. 

So if this is my usual Advent exercise when I’m hearing a story about God being born human and singing about “round young virgin, mother and child,” and loving it, what do I believe?

No scientist or biologist, this morning I read that if Matthew and Luke had known about genes and chromosomes, Jesus would have been a girl. Apparently the female has two X chromosomes and the male has an X and a Y, and they each contribute one chromosome to the zygote. The mother contributes an X. The father contributes either an X or a Y. If the father contributes an X the baby is a girl. If the father contributes a Y the baby is a boy. Divine but not human, the Holy Spirit is non-chromosomal: only X chromosomes yields a girl child. This wasn’t my idea, I’m just sayin’. 



What do I believe, what do I believe? And what about my salvation? I don’t believe that I save myself by what I believe. I’m standing on faith, and salvation by grace through faith, Ephesians 2:8, “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God.” Faith as in Hebrews 11:1. “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” Whatever you say, Lord. And thank you, Lord.


Here’s the gospel reading for Sunday:

Matthew 1:18-25 (KJV) 
18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily.
20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. 21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.
22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, 23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
24 Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife: 25 And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name Jesus.

And here’s the Old Testament reading: 

Isaiah 7:10-16 (KJV)
10 ... the Lord spake again unto Ahaz, saying, 11 Ask thee a sign of the Lord thy God; ask it either in the depth, or in the height above. 
12 But Ahaz said, I will not ask, neither will I tempt the Lord.
13 And he said, Hear ye now, O house of David; Is it a small thing for you to weary men, but will ye weary my God also? 14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. 15 Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good. 16 For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.

TW+