Rochester

It doesn’t really matter to a dummy like me because I watch little TV except the weather. Still, it’s a relief A&E lifted their suspension of Phil Robertson, who is neither more nor less guilty than I, and though what he said was outrageous it was predictable, and anyone who was surprised is naive to the max. Maybe it’s that PhilR and I have different innocences and ignorances. I may even watch a Duck episode to see if it’s funny. 

What’s funny changes though, or we change. Long years ago one of my favorite programs was Red Skelton, but I eagerly watched a re-run sometime in the past five or ten years and couldn’t believe I ever thought such pathetic inanity was funny. Jiminy Christmas.

Jack Benny was funny then too, but PC can be so virulent that Rochester would be banned -- which would be a shame, because Rochester chauffeured the Maxwell. So were Amos and Andy funny.


In no order, my funniest of all time. Sgt Bilko with Phil Silvers. Carol Burnett and company. Fawlty Towers. SNL with John Belushi. Taxi with both humor and pathos. Mary Tyler Moore and her cast of characters. MASH though I was not one of the majority who were insane about MASH. All in the Family. Andy Griffith with Don Knotts. The Honeymooners. Bill Cosby. Laugh In. Dobie Gillis. Smothers Brothers. Leave it to Beaver. Grand Ole Opry, which made me a country music fan for many years starting in college. In time I stopped listening to country music because it always left me melancholy like Snoopy the WWI flying ace crying in his root beer in the French pub. Not comedy but a long favorite, Dolly Parton, more a variety show in the 1970s, and her theme song, “I will always love you.” 

My favorite movies are still The Blues Brothers, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, and Animal House.

Nobody should take anything about me seriously, including my weird sense of humor. My intent this morning was to write something serious, but I forget what it was about, probably something holy.

Jack Benny in the Maxwell is shaking hands with Harry Truman, but it's not Rochester at the wheel.

W