Moments to Love: A Different Take on Advent Watching & Waiting

Different take on Advent

We are in Tallahassee this weekend, came over to keep the girls company while Tass and Jeremy enjoyed his firm’s Friday evening Christmas party. Making the motel reservation a few weeks ago, Marriot Courtyard said we’d have to reserve two nights because this is a university graduation weekend, FAMU and FSU and the motel was booked up, so we decided to stay for Caroline and Charlotte’s piano recital today, Sunday. It has been several years since we were able to come over for their recital, so this is exciting, and besides, the recital is at the Antique Car Museum.

Advent is our season to Watch. Being with my children and then with my children and grandchildren has for over fifty-five years been my joy in life, happiness is being with them, and as I age I appreciate more and more the times. Not so much appreciate more and more actually, as I am more and more aware of being there and enjoying it. As if I’m hovering outside of me, watching how much I’m loving it and loving them, so that there are two parts, two factors in the experience: having a good time, and looking over my shoulder observing how much it means to me. On the way out of the frozen yogurt shop last night, walking to the car, Charlotte took my hand. Holding hands was dear enough, but it was intensified by my deliberately noticing how much I was enjoying acquiring this as a treasured moment. I don't expect to be carrying that little moment into eternity, but it will last me until then.

My life has been filled with treasured moments too numerous to recall all at once. Reading Roger Ebert's Life Itself: A Memoir was a wonderful exercise in remembering my own life and enjoying it all over again as Roger recalled his; I'm sorry the book is over, along with Roger's life; but I know which chapters to return to and stir up my own related memoirs! Not only have I enjoyed each treasured moment as it has happened over my years; but now in age stepping outside of myself and being aware of each one, looking at myself and thinking, "Wow, he's really loving that," conscious that one of these days there won’t be any more, gives each moment infinite value in my heart.

There are more to come. Riding home in the car with Linda after the piano recital. Kristen finishes her exams on Wednesday and I expect her home from Emory that evening; already I'm watching me wait expectantly. Joe will be arriving from W-S next Saturday, to stay for ten days over Christmas. 

And what is Christmas anyway? It's the Christmas Eve services at Holy Nativity when the place will be overrun with little children. Can't wait! Look at how excited the man is!!  

TomW