Prepare Ye: Avoiding the Inferno


Advent: preparing for the coming of the Son of Man

Part of my life’s enjoyment at this age is Joe seeing old cars  around Winston-Salem, snapping them and texting me pictures. Sunday afternoon he texted this, which was in my Monday post:


and which helped occupy the mind during my anguish of Kristen driving back to Emory after Thanksgiving at home. Not to go up that road, but it’s not easy on an old man’s state of mind, and the car pic was welcome diversion while waiting for her text, "I'm here!" At first glance I wasn’t sure what the car was, but Saturday evening George had told me about three cars he had when he was in high school and college, two Model A Fords and a 1932 Chevrolet. To me, one year Model A looks the same as the next, but Chevrolet cars for that era are pretty much in their proper slots in my brain, and even sipping a glass of wine while George was telling me, the mind had generated a picture of the wide vertical opening side vents in the hood of 1932 General Motors cars. Four vents for Chevrolet and Pontiac, five for Buick and Olds as I recall. Cadillac had six, and LaSalle may have had six as well.

Two Buick cars, 1932



Two from Oldsmobile



Several Cadillac 1932 cars




No, these 1932 LaSalle cars have five side hood vents, not six like their companion from Cadillac. 




In any event, this is Advent, time to “get ready” for answering St. Peter’s questions at the Pearly Gates, and I’m confident there will be lots of car questions, cars to identify make, year and model. So I’m probably in better shape than most people. You’ll have to know the car even if it’s been made into a street rod.

And, oh, there's the 1932 Pontiac. Similar to the Chevrolet, with four vents, but notice the red head of Chief Pontiac on the hub cap:



Still wasn’t sure about the picture Joe sent, so opened the next one, a rear view.


Tapping command + enlarges the image and even though it was a slant angle and fuzzy with enlargement, I was pretty sure that’s a Chevy bow-tie in the tail light. So sent Joe a fairly positive ID: 1932 Chevrolet sedan. He then texted me the front view that cinched it.


Nevertheless, old Doubting Thomas here compared the 1931 Chevrolet








and the 1932 Chevrolet






and the 1933 Chevrolet




to verify the year model, and closed the case. These little drills are good practice for judgment day. Advent: prepare ye.

TW+