Friday Nonsense

It may be a shrimpboat, I can’t tell. It’s pretty close offshore, and judging by the lights it seems to be working a pattern. What pleases me is the silence. Oh, I can hear the engine, but it’s quiet, unlike the Vietnamese shrimpboats that worked the bay years ago before the house was air conditioned, and the windows in my upstairs bedroom would be open, and the sound of the unmuffled engine on the Bay all night would be annoying, like some kid running his Model A back and forth. It was annoying until I woke up the next morning and realized it had lulled me to sleep.

Air conditioning is wonderful, but there was nothing like the cool, damp, salty breeze wafting in at will. If I were still ten or twelve I’d lie this chaise lounge down flat, bring a pillow and sleep out here, go to sleep listening to waves lapping the beach.  

The moon is high, about a half moon behind a thin white cloud just west of local meridian and south over the Gulf. 

The boat has turned and headed back across the Bay in the other direction, red light showing. 

This is good +Time.

Dove cooing in the park trees below. Layer of haze over downtown Panama City in front of me, to my east. I guess in an hour it will settle down and call itself fog.

And I can hear the Gulf surf roar this morning.


T, glad to be here