Home


This is just incredible, never dawned on me there could be such a retirement spot as this. The most modest yet most perfect condo for us, south wing, seventh floor, viewing the entire stretch of St. Andrew Bay east to west and across to Shell Island and Courtney Point into the Gulf of Mexico. Directly across from Davis Point last rounded by Annie & Jennie, carrying my uncle Alfred to eternity that bitter cold January 1918 night to whom and to which I owe my own life.

It’s what I see constantly, A&J disappearing behind the point as Pop returns to the house and Mom begins fretting. And yet I do not need to be in Alfred’s house and on his porch and going up and down his stairs. At last I am in my own home, not his, on my own turf, deep in my own life. This I can own as the house I could never.


And the north view, downtown St. Andrews where with my brother I grew up as a boy.

Letting Alfred's go, both of us free, this is mine. Home at last.


B