mountain


For all its dark improbability, after more than two and a half years at 7H, below still is a favorite night scene, across to Courtney Point and The Pass beyond, stretching to our right past lighted high-rises lining the Gulf of Mexico at PCB. 

Another favorite is waking to summer mornings of lightning, rumbling thunder, and driving rain across StAndrewsBay. Of violent storms, now and then a lightning streak into the Bay is simultaneous with its deafening burst, which, when outside on the porch, is closer than comfortable, as in jump out of the skin.


Top pic: son Joe is in Seattle for the wedding of a dear friend. I remember and love Seattle from frequent visits while in the Navy and later in business. Puget Sound and Mount Ranier well more than made up for any and all drizzly weather.

Why persist in this insane blogging? Maybe because of vanity, and because it seems to serve a similar purpose mentally to walking physically. No walk this morning, so it will be the stairwell routine: down several flights but no more floors than I know I can run back up and thank God for the handrails on both sides. My final Navy tour in WashDC was that SW corner office with the beautiful view, on the fifth floor of CP5 a DoD building where advice posted in the elevators was “Walk down two and up one” so we didn’t become sloths. Sometimes I ran up all five flights of stairs from the underground parking garage, but was 39 and 40 then. Between knees and breathlessness, it doesn’t work at less than two months from 82. 

I will miss being 81, which all year I’ve been able to turn round, think-and-become 18 for a moment. I’m exactly the same age my grandfather was when I was 18. The life of earthlings may have changed more in my lifetime and from 1953 to 2017 than in Pop’s lifetime and from 1872 to 1953. And what do I like best about being alive? All these people I love and remember having loved.

It’s no secret from myself that I need to stop closing sermons with the Baptismal Covenant, but I disappreciate the Nicene Creed with its certitudinous theology of contentious old bishops living where the sun circles the earth at the center of creation and beyond the firmament is the household of God. As well as not expanding quite so far into the theologically untenable, the Baptismal Covenant adds consequences to what one professes to believe. Nevertheless, and though faith without works is dead, I need to shed a propensity for coercing a congregation into promising what they will do about what they claim to believe but have little idea or concern about what they're saying. 

Breakfast this morning will be the stairwell run followed by collapsing on the bed and then a small cup of baked beans with black coffee and the world’s best barbecued pork-butt sandwich.    


DThos+ still making it