asked, was given

In a judgmental, self-certain, divisive, hate-filled, morally sinking age of shakily doubtful political correct can it be possible there was any good at all in us, to be remembered and to celebrate? What of Leonidas Polk, military academy graduate, Episcopal priest and bishop, primary founder of Sewanee, and CSA general. What of Robert E Lee. What about my great-grandfather R H Weller, rector of StJohns Episcopal Church, Jacksonville, Florida, whom family lore says was arrested and jailed for hiding Confederate troops in the basement of his church during the Yankee invasion of Jacksonville. What that we were proud of must we now be ashamed of. What of our memories and the memories of my grandfathers and the stories they told me, what can we remember and what must we forget. What should we not tell our grandchildren after-all. What about when the tide changes. What of the CSA soldier whom tradition credits with the “Confederate Soldier’s Prayer” that a friend brought back to my mind just this week. What about the tiny CSA flags I photographed marking graves in that Jesuit cemetery in Louisiana, what about the grave markers themselves, and shall their graves be disinterred and dishonored. While politically correct cleansing Leftists among us are busy and self-importantly obliterating kneeling cushions, statues, stained glass windows, and renaming parishes, high schools and streets, I’m wondering: if they ever get ahold of a TimeMachine and can go back, many of us and them will never have existed at all, what will happen to/with our Beings or does it even matter. It’s not always safe, good or wise to reimagine and reimage the past, it could come alive. 


For a Sunday morning, here’s that prayer 


A CONFEDERATE SOLDIER'S PRAYER
Author Unknown,
(Attributed to a battle weary C.S.A soldier near the end of the war)

I asked God for strength, that I might achieve;
I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health, that I might do greater things;
I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.
I asked for riches, that I might be happy;
I was given poverty, that I might be wise.
I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men;
I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life;
I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am among all men most richly blessed.