Thessaloniki

Hey, I showed up again this morning, still here, thank you, God. A 9 mph breeze that at 74° and 96% is more damp than cool is moving along Scipio Creek here in Apalachicola as I sit at the table on this outside screen porch listening to predawn river sounds and contemplate what to say to whoever might come to Trinity Church this morning.

Matthew’s gospel for today is about Jesus and Caesar’s Coin. The church lectionary puts it in Stewardship Season so we can preach a pledging and tithing sermon, but I did that quite enough in my pulpit years, so what about Exodus, Moses up on the holy mountain with The Lord. Or better yet, First Thessalonians, Paul’s first extant letter that seems doctrinally significant, but that is so obscure to the minds of most people in the pew. Maybe I can share something they’ll enjoy knowing. 


Homiletically I shall be repetitive so they Get It, but hopefully not obnoxiously repetitive. Or, if obnoxious, amen, so be it. Later on, I’ll print the sermon here as my real blogpost for today.


DThos+