IDK, YouDK, HeDK, WeDK, Y'allDK, TheyDK

Okay, Fat Tuesday ten days early, which blurs it but no matter, if it’s fun it’s all good. Cold but I pray them fair weather today. We watch the festivities from 7H.



In no way, by no means now or ever is this personal musing a political blog. Although for some six or seven years in the seventies and eighties I taught two graduate courses for the Political Science Division of the University of West Florida, I'm no political being, do not appreciate politics; abhor, detest career politicians, selfish, egomaniacal, greedy, power-hungry leeches on society and life itself. They may be in our Statehouse, IDK, I foolishly pay them no mind, IDK. But for a fact national Congress and Administrative Government are full of them, absolutely loaded, so much so and permanent that the only solution is the Revolution for which the Second Amendment enables us to be ready - - which we are not and will never become.

Breakfast: hot, black coffee and a full link of deer sausage. For supper last night I near ruined our best iron skillet by leaving a sausage cooking too long on the stovetop, still delicious though, but the skillet is still soaking and not yet usable, so I cooked this morning’s link two minutes in the microwave. Not quite as perfect but excellent, slightly sweet, slightly spicy. Old-timey excellent.

Besides the taste and the satisfaction and its caffein affect or effect, hot black coffee is good also for - - cleaning eyeglasses: dip right index finger into cup, cover both sides of both lenses with coffee, wipe off with tissue or dry, clean cloth. Must be the acid in coffee that clears glass so nicely. My father used vinegar instead of windex for cleaning glass, also acidic but it smelled horrible.

Saturday morning again. 3 Feb and my task is to continue prep work on my Lent project, namely The Good Book Club reading the Gospel according to Luke. I’m making a handout, a new one each week, with the week’s readings Sunday through Saturday in print large enough for us octogenarians; bit of clipart sprinkled in because every day there’s a familiar good old sunday school Bible story; and my own contribution which at this point before printing it I call “Just for Thought.” A problem is my own writing problem itself: I start out brief, then expand, enlarge. So today’s plan is to go to the church office, print one copy of what I’ve prepared for the first week, and go through it with a deleting pencil, aiming to curtail my own verbal walkabout. 

Back to that this is not a political blog. But I am as American as you, have been so longer than you, not that longer conveys anything but memory; but same right to speak up and out. Something’s wrong, deadly wrong with America, with our society, culture, population, and therefore with the government that our ill society, culture, population produces and perpetuates. We hate each other. All we want and need in any venue whether WH, Court, Congress or Church, is a one vote majority sufficient gleefully, hatefully to oppress the other side. So single-mindedly focused and soaked are we in hatred of "them" that we can’t see what we are doing. Rome, we are deconstructing our democracy, our way of life. 

For myself, I look back and long for the America I knew my growing up years. But then looking closer at It and Me, it was an America to My liking: ruled by the male, white, protestant christian majority that “knew,” legally prescribed, and enforced what we “knew” was right and best for all. Various progresses have given the lie to what I - - growing up in a racially segregated society that we “knew” was right; with my living forebears, loyally contemning hated Yankees who'd occupied us and violated our way of life after The War; at college joining a Confederate battle flag waving, “Oh I wish I was in the land of cotton, old times there are not forgotten” singing fraternity that idolized our Old South heritage; lifelong worshiping in the certitudinously upper-middle-class male-patriarchic denomination that Sundayly paraded the American flag in procession with the Cross - - dead wrong “knew” was unquestionably right, good, proper, and in good taste for all. 

In my Time, my garbage can of certainty has, by both legal force and force of violence as necessary, been turned over, tumped out, and stomped. Racism exposed and fought over. Feminism rising to overcome. LGBTQ coming out for rights and dignity. XnRt rising viciously political to stir hatred of all who do not “know” their “truth.” Rome did not fall in a day, and we also are taking our time. Even though it was so terribly, dreadfully wrong for and to so many, I’m lucky (never blasphemously saying “blest”) to have lived in a Time and place that was favorable for the unconsciousable unspeakables that we were, are. The United States of America is not in free-fall, but is moving, sliding, changing unrevolutionarily in every possible negative way of scruple, honor, integrity, mutual-respect, grace, justice, peace, lovingkindness. tolerance even as we deeply hate and viciously fight either for progressiveness or to hold the eroding mountain. Though lucky to have lived when I did, in the America that I knew, one can sense our future, that it will be very different. Some will be pleased: it will be their turn. They will be as merciless as we have been, were, and are. Already are so. We know not and know not that we know not.

Definition of fools: shun us.

DThos+

an interesting read, it’s us, not him.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/2/16929764/how-democracies-die-trump-book-levitsky-ziblatt