when

Scrolling down FB yesterday, which I never do but did a bit anyway, one picture I came across, don't remember whether Robert or Carl posted it, was the shot of downtown Panama City the way I remember it, the way it was, 



the way it still should be but isn't due to the unspeakable obscenity filled into the Bay at the end of Harrison Avenue. Let whoever did that be consigned to eternal purgatory along with whoever tore down the real Bay High School. 


I'm not generally a reactionary except theologically, liturgically, and anytime my hometown is involved: the old ways were best.

Looking at the picture - - that could be a postcard - - on the left in the bayside park I see the USO building that may have been put up for the soldiers and sailors during WW2, I don't remember, but later it became the Civic Center. Mrs. Barnes' piano recitals, in which I played several times, were always there. I think our May 1949 eighth grade Cove School graduation was there. 

But before all that I remember, maybe I was two or three, my mother taking me - - I recall the car we were in, our 1935 Chevrolet



and parking the car there, our getting out so I could ride the merry-go-round, the carousel that used to come to town once a year or so and set up there at the foot of Harrison Avenue. I was little, I remember being scared when she perched me in the saddle of one of the horses, so that I rode my first carousel ride sitting on the bench and riding round with the carousel operator beside me, the loud but wonderful carousel music playing, and every time we came around, anxiously looking to make sure mama was still there, and she always was, sitting on a park bench right there waiting for me, and as I recall holding my baby sister. So maybe that was 1938 or early 1939 and I was about three years old. 

Wonderful week here at 7H. Tass and family here, TJCC, Joe from NC, and Nicholas down from Michigan for the first time since our 50th anniversary celebration and family Disney Cruise in 2007. 

T