It's not about cars


Currently at Baytown Tire with my car first thing this morning for tire rotation, oil and filter change, new wiper blades as they gunk up the windshield every time they’re used regardless of wiping them clean, covered with road tar, haven’t been changed since I first bought the car and put on new tires and wiper blades two or three years ago and we were heading down to Gainesville. Yesterday we voted early and made appointments, lawyer, Baytown, something else, isn’t that an exciting blogpost! Worse than a diary and nowhere near a journal.

Friends journal, but as reported here before, I’ve never journaled, only doing two or three days in October 2010 after being given “two to five months,” which in MediSpeak means “any moment” and I thought and decided that, having ministered many people through their dying, I’d enjoy journaling my own as I experienced it, switched to CaringBridge until leaving Cleveland Clinic good as new, and switched to +Time in February 2011. Sometimes the blog is sensible, sometimes too light, sometimes Privy Chamber as though people have crowded into the bathroom with me.

Don’t know Baytown’s p/w, so hooked up as Walborsky Guest, “Remember the name …” Ed must be in the neighborhood. 

Now my car’s ready, forty-five minutes in and out, Hansson put these tires on for me a couple years ago and likes them rotated and balanced every six months or five thousand miles. This car, an all time favorite, is the third SRX I’ve had exactly like it, even the same silver-gray except the other two were sixes and this one’s a V8, which is why I phoned and told them I’d take it the minute I spotted it on Cramer’s used car lot. It was ten years old with 55k miles, now is almost thirteen years old still with only 65k miles. My gem. 

What car have I liked better than this one? Maybe my 1970 Olds Cutlass Supreme hardtop coupe, but for other, many and sundry reasons, ho anaginowskown noeito. Malinda ended up with that Olds, had a crash with it, I took it to Earl Scheib down the street from Crystal City, they straightened out the left side and painted the car yellow for me and I drove it another year or two before buying, I loved scouting for old creampuffs, a very low mileage 1968 Lincoln Continental sedan off the Lincoln-Mercury dealer’s lot for $1400; turquoise with a black vinyl top, in those days a dream of a car but did not have power door locks or tilt wheel, which were options at the time. That would have been 1977 and the period when I had seven cars and USAA surprised phoning me one day and asking, “Commander Weller, why do you have seven cars?” 

Linda says I’m done buying cars for this lifetime, though for a while Cramers did have an old, low mileage red Corvette convertible that I agonized over until they finally sold it and relieved my soul. Can you see old Uncle Bubba crawling down into and climbing up out of a Corvette? Well, I can.



Recently been autopsychoanalyzing, reading about oxytocin and the subconscious that can seize control without one ever realizing it.  Next? A book that arrived yesterday, "Blind Man's Bluff - The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage." 

T