Sunburst

Some blogposts are more sensible than others, some considerably less. Let the reader decide, today's key feature being the starburst pattern vacuumed into the rug in my room, den, study, retreat.



Yesterday we left TAFB and instead of Bay Harbor took Tyndall Parkway, stopping for lunch at Gary's Oyster Shack (on the curve just before StPatrickEpiscopal). We've been there one other time after leaving Tyndall, but last time did take-out, this time we stayed. Ambience is perfect oyster shack. A dozen on the half shell and they were delicious, perfect, ice cold, large and salty, not the pea-size oysters I've been served unapologetically at two other places recently. The fried oysters are good too. Linda had fried shrimp, also good. 

The best fried shrimp I've had at a restaurant in recent years, though, were the pound of fried jumbo shrimp shared with my oyster buddy at the Sand Bar, at the "Y" on PCB. Regular shrimp, not royal reds. Good, though I usually get royal reds, steamed and with the cajun dip.

What happens is, for half-shell oysters, you get whatever's being harvested from whence Bay they came even if they should've been left to mature another couple years. But for fried, they're cooking shucked oysters from a gallon bucket, mostly fair sized. I like my half-shell oysters large; when I was a boy working in the fish market we offered a choice of standards or selects, and most of what's fried in cafes these days remind me of our bucket of select oysters. Fried, they still taste like oysters whereas standards are mostly fried into just something crispy. For oysters, cornmeal, but flour is okay too. But large.

Still, on a video recently, about oysters, I watched a young woman in Japan chopstick an enormous, long oyster into her mouth inch by inch, chewing, chewing, as the living creature disappeared into her mouth, like sucking in a string of spaghetti. I'm game.



Maybe there's a boundary somewhere, IDK. Frank once told me about huge oysters in Seattle that were $5 each, big enough to cut in two and share, he may have said. 

Busy day in store.

Late addition: realizing that MLP is closer than I knew