meander

When I went out on 7H porch just after four o'clock, no planets visible, but the moon was hanging in the west, just over Thomas Drive, orange and ominous; a bit ominous, and I'd always thought the moon was my friend. My camera phone was out of sight so no picture, I guess you had to be there.  

Well, I guess you had to be there
Yeah, you really had to be there
Some things you just can't explain
It's just not the same
I guess you had to be there


And thank you, Lorrie Morgan, 25 years ago, for some reason I associate that song with the first time I heard it, driving past the state capitol in Tallahassee on my way home to Apalachicola after taking Nicholas home. I was what? 58, with five more years to be at Trinity Church. And Nicholas was about to move to Michigan.

Life keeps going, but, counter to Hank Williams, Jr., it don't git tedious. Where was I fifty years ago - - late summer 1968, starting Naval War College, our second tour in Newport, Rhode Island. Would I go back? Only for a little while, not to stay for another New England winter followed by a WestPac deployment at sea, otherwise maybe.

Why is my mind doing this to me this morning, I really don't want to go there, another life ago when, like the Velveteen Rabbit, I was not yet real. Jiminy. Jeepers.

Here's the gospel for Sunday, day after tomorrow. 

John 6:56-69
Jesus said, “Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live forever.” He said these things while he was teaching in the synagogue at Capernaum.
When many of his disciples heard it, they said, “This teaching is difficult; who can accept it?” But Jesus, being aware that his disciples were complaining about it, said to them, “Does this offend you? Then what if you were to see the Son of Man ascending to where he was before? It is the spirit that gives life; the flesh is useless. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. But among you there are some who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the first who were the ones that did not believe, and who was the one that would betray him. And he said, “For this reason I have told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted by the Father.”
Because of this many of his disciples turned back and no longer went about with him. So Jesus asked the twelve, “Do you also wish to go away?” Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom can we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and know that you are the Holy One of God.”

Bread again, our final Bread gospel, five of them and I preached two but not this final one. 6:56 ὁ τρώγων μου τὴν σάρκα καὶ πίνων μου τὸ αἷμα ἐν ἐμοὶ μένει κἀγὼ ἐν αὐτῷ - - the (one) eating, gnawing, munching, crunching of me the flesh and drinking of me the blood - - that's not eucharistic bread and wine to Gospel John, it's real flesh and real blood, the Lamb of God. 


The moon is gone. What I see is a light gray sky becoming pink, a black line that is, west to east, Magnolia Beach, Shell Island, TAFB, and downtown Panama City, and a darker gray that is StAndrewsBay.

T