in the News


Thursday opens on StAndrewsBay with a pink morning for a change.

Earlier, black and dark both inside and outside as I sit here at my Bay window chair doing what I try never to do, which is, namely, read the News. 



Yesterday's sky above, TS Gordon is gone, I need to crawl back into my hidey hole and contemplate my birthday or something instead of reading Vox et al and trying to figure whether overall their views are left, or right, or, as I naively thought of news my growing up years, it’s all simply facts brought to me from afar. But no, it’s all slanted nowadays and has to be read with jaundice, or, better yet, not at all.

What alarms me? Reading in this morning’s news that Senator Tom Cotton of Alabama is being considered to replace Mattis in the Pentagon, when Cotton is from Arkansas. Do I like Mattis? Yes, along with Kelly in the WH, they are the only two I have confidence and trust in. Maybe trusting generals is my “military mind” that I was slammed for by the EfM director the last time I went to Sewanee for EfM certification, what a complete jerk she was, and I told her so in front of the whole group. Maybe it was the wine we both had, IDK, it was a dozen or more years ago, but I don’t do well with idiots on either side of me, left or right. 

Here inside, good chocolate this morning, Gevalia coffee from two-for-one at Publix; outside, black and dark from here to forever.

Enough people are obsessed with the Kavanaugh hearings that I don’t need to be one more. Colin Kaepernick, from my view, every American has the right to their own style of protest whether anybody else likes it or not: I’ll be standing and saluting, if you want to kneel, have at it regardless of the crazies flying their CSA flags from their pickup trucks. Elizabeth Warren: she isn’t alone - - years ago for some reason, one of my own relatives, in a lie that wasn’t uncovered until a couple of generations later, rewrote our family history to make our ancestor English Weller, killed nobly at the Battle of Bunker Hill and his name on the monument there, instead of German Wäller and working in the shipyards at Broad Bay in what is now Maine. One weekend when we were at the Naval War College in Newport, RI, we drove up to Boston and I searched all over the monument for George’s name and, not finding it, I had Encyclopedia Britannica do a search for those killed at Bunker Hill and George still wasn’t listed. It was frustrating until I found out the story was a lie. Another relative traveled to England to meet our relatives only to find out also that we all had been bamboozled, I'm ashamed to say. So anyway, if Elizabeth Warren grew up being told she had Indian, Native American, ancestry only to find out it was a lie, I understand. 

What else? Great start to our Wednesday program at church last night, lots of little folks. I got a couple of really good pictures but will leave it to Madge to post them.


T