Remembering

Six of us are living here, or did I already write that, Linda, Malinda, Ray, Britany, Lilly and me, in this 17th floor condo out beyond the "Y" that is Highway 79. Hurricane Michael brought, has brought, is bringing change, will continue to bring change in our lives, maybe for the rest of, who knows, IDK. 

This is a great spot, lovely , the difference is purely psychological, that nobody likes being forced out of their home and just so with me; but if I take control of my psyche and forget about the troubles, inconveniences actually, back in StAndrews and with 7H, no doubt I can go with this as long as required. For October we had a different condo, and next, the week after Thanksgiving, we are to move on from here to yet another condo, at Rosemary Beach. Not Gulf front, it will be a new experience for us, wandering around there, seeing and enjoying whatever is.



Meantime, online this morning, memories called forth, the first, actually, post-war car was the 1948 Hudson. I don't remember our Panama City dealer's name, but located on 6th Street a couple blocks east of the train station. Our family car was prewar, the 1942 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan, and the parents were starting to think New Car. As said here before, my champion was the 1948 Buick Super sedan (which was also a pre-war car, an updated 1942 model, nevertheless it was a Buick); but when the 1948 Hudson came out, it was an all new design and style (except for the carry-over flat head six and eight cylinder engines) long, low, elegant and beautiful. we went in as soon as it appeared in the showroom, as a family, after church on a Sunday as I recall, and my excitement stirred. 



Of course, in the end, as told here many times, my father bought neither the Buick nor the Hudson, but, because Karl Wiselogel got him a Dodge truck when Bubber Nelson couldn't get him a Chevrolet truck, we had the new 1948 Dodge sedan (itself simply an "updated" 1942 pre-war Dodge) that years later was mine my senior year at Florida, then my and Linda's first car and for our adventures and beginning life together in Rhode Island while I was at Navy OCS in Newport.

Someone is showing online this morning, a completely restored Hudson Commodore 8 sedan that calls forth all that stored memory from seventy years ago, the sleekness and roomy comfort of that Hudson. 



It's a 1949, but unchanged, identical to the 1948 Hudson cars.

Unfortunately, for financial reasons, that was Hudson's last real redesign. Some years later Hudson and Nash merged and the 1955 Hudson was a re-styled Nash.


Thanks for the memories.

RSF&PTL

T