Uncle Ernie's


Saturday, 15 Feb 2020, what's on then? A day to read over tomorrow's lectionary and think about adult Sunday School, what to talk about. We have a First Corinthians reading: some weeks ago we devoted a full session to Corinthians, Paul's first, second, third and fourth letters, so unless there are questions in class I'm done with that. With transfiguration and Last Epiphany readings coming up next week, tomorrow is our final Ordinary Time readings until Lent and Easter are over, then we'll pick back up with Corinthians after Pentecost, when Ordinary Time resumes. Paul can be tiresome, and his theology is peculiar for the 21st century scientific mind. Not like an obnoxious kid looking for attention, that if you ignore him he'll go away, Paul keeps returning, and we have to deal with him from Time to Time, but I'm done with him for now.

Sometimes he's less disquieting than Matthew though, which is the case for tomorrow, again from Matthew's presentation of Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, Matthew 5:21-37. If I were preaching tomorrow, which I'm not, I might go with the responsive psalm, the "aleph" verses of Psalm 119. 

Psalm 119 is an alphabetic acrostic poem. It's divided into twenty-two stanzas, one stanza for each letter of the Hebrew alphabet; within each stanza, each of the eight verses begins (in Hebrew) with that letter. This is seen in the Hebrew text and heard in its aloud reading, but not brought over perceptively into any translations that I'm aware of. There's scholarly discussion about how to honor the poet's intent by bringing the acrostic feature into English translation, but I've not yet seen a successful instance of that. 


א Aleph


Blessed are those whose ways are blameless,
    who walk according to the law of the Lord.
Blessed are those who keep his statutes
    and seek him with all their heart—
they do no wrong
    but follow his ways.
You have laid down precepts
    that are to be fully obeyed.
Oh, that my ways were steadfast
    in obeying your decrees!
Then I would not be put to shame
    when I consider all your commands.
I will praise you with an upright heart
    as I learn your righteous laws.
I will obey your decrees;
    do not utterly forsake me.



+++++++++

Pic of Uncle Ernie's snapped yesterday. The banner out front says they're Opening Soon.