2 Samuel 1

Asked to describe how Lawrence orchestrated the Clemson offense, Saban replied, "Well, it was no surprise to me."*



Looking back at the Gator's schedule, it had to have been Thanksgiving weekend 1955, my junior year at Florida, that my friend Jerry from Pensacola said he was going to drive down to Miami for Florida's final season game, our final season game in those days was with the Miami Hurricanes not FSU. When, on our way back to school Sunday afternoon, I asked him about it Jerry said, "Weller, I didn't go, I decided that if I drove all the way down there and the Gators lost, I'd kick my butt all the way home." 

Florida 6 - Miami 7.

So then, this morning I could visualize a Tide fan spending, these days it could be several thousand dollars, Florida-SanFrancisco round trip air, accommodation &c, and flying back home this morning, unbuckling as soon as the "Fasten Seat Belt" sign goes off, to stand in the center aisle the whole flight, and kicking his butt all the way back. 

He may now be glad he didn't go.

Back at college on the GI Bill, a Navy veteran age 23 or 24 to my 20 or 21, Jerry and I met in class and became acquainted then friends in the College of Business Administration together our junior year. Jerry's friend Tom had a car, a 1951 Ford, and I regularly needed a ride home and back; my paying about $5 for gas, Tom would drop me at home in Panama City on their way home to Pensacola, then pick me up on Sunday afternoons heading back to Gainesville.

The second semester, Spring 1956, Jerry and I bought a car together, $75 for the 1947 Buick Special and $78.80 for the assigned risk insurance policy with AllState. My first of any number of beloved Buicks, this one with many issues I've lined here before but it was a Buick and When Better Automobiles were Built Buick would Build Them, we kept it until Thanksgiving or Christmas vacation 1956, our senior year, when we sold it for $50 which I signed the title, stuffed the cash into my pocket and hurried down the street and out of sight before the used car dealer who bought it from me got in to start it up and discover his big mistake. A block away, I could hear the transmission gears screaming loud as he tried unsuccessfully to shift into reverse.

This was the same Jerry who took, spring semester 1957 from the same Professor Shaw, the same business course I'd taken spring semester 1956 and gotten a C on my term paper: just before graduation, Jerry said, "Weller, I don't have time to write the term paper for Shaw's course. Can I use the term paper you wrote last year?" I said, okay but I got a C on it. A bright and outgoing person, Jerry was Shaw's star student. He didn't have time to retype my term paper, so he simply removed the front cover page, retitled it, submitted under his name, and got it back graded A+

44-16, Tell it not in Gath, publish it not in the streets of Askelon ...

T

https://www.dothaneagle.com/sports/alabama/alabama-coach-nick-saban-on-match-up-with-clemson-it/article_0ada4758-0d4c-11e9-a154-9717ddca81f5.html