the call


As of sign-on Time this morning, there are 11,712 unread emails in my in-box, for my main email account alone. The couple of email accounts that I used when email first started decades ago are still alive and also have accumulations. So, if I missed responding to an email from you, it's not that I'm ignoring you, it's because I missed it, as dozens, scores, maybe hundreds of emails arrive in my in-box every day, and I've just given up on them. 

And the Facebook Messenger account - - I've tried to turn it off, coded it inactive because of the Time several years ago when I unwittingly opened a spam message and attachment from a "friend" and it got spread throughout to everyone I know or am FB friends with. So if you FB Message me, I'm not likely to see it for days, weeks, months until something grabs my attention and I go over there to investigate. Regardless, I NEVER open attachments on Facebook Messenger anymore.

Why start out that way, when Monday is such a beautiful day for relaxing and slowly thinking? IDK, maybe just because I keep noticing the unopened email counter. One day soon, maybe this week, I'll go into my delete routine and get the count back down to zero. I usually do that once or twice every year or two, but I'be never before let the count go over about 5,000. To hell with it, nomesane?

Got to prepare a sermon this week. Below is the gospel. All that comes to mind is our song from summer church camp when I was a boy and through my teen years:

Oh the foxes they have holes in the ground
and the birds have nest in the air,
and everything's got a hiding place,
but the sinner ain't got nowhere!

Oh, ain't them hard trials,
great tribulations
aint' them hard trials
I'm bound for the Promised Land

Maybe for a sermon I'll just get up and sing the song. 

Below the gospel for next Sunday (scroll down) is the beginning of a train of thought I noticed this morning on "Episcopalians on Facebook" - - about "the call" into ordained ministry, and whether we priests ever have second thoughts about it. I will say that when, in my early forties, I finally gave in to it and said, "Oh what the hell, I give up" was the beginning of my life, and my first day in seminary was the moment I realized that I could finally let go and let life Be. There have been trying moments, and a few nutty and dangerous people, but I've never had a second thought about yielding to "the call" - - never.

RSF&PTL

T
 


Luke 9:51-62
When the days drew near for Jesus to be taken up, he set his face to go to Jerusalem. And he sent messengers ahead of him. On their way they entered a village of the Samaritans to make ready for him; but they did not receive him, because his face was set toward Jerusalem. When his disciples James and John saw it, they said, "Lord, do you want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them?" But he turned and rebuked them. Then they went on to another village.

As they were going along the road, someone said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go." And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head." To another he said, "Follow me." But he said, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father." But Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God." Another said, "I will follow you, Lord; but let me first say farewell to those at my home." Jesus said to him, "No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.”

+++++++++

picked up on "Episcopalians on Facebook this morning:




What do you think happens if you "hear the call” and ignore it?


I hear people talk about this and I’ve pondered it. I know people who I think would be great priests but they will say they never heard the call. Also, I heard one priest say he thought the “call” reflected what the faith community was asking for us to do.

I have asked Priests if they had second thoughts about whether they really heard the “call” or not. So far they have all said, “Yes”.

Personal experience: other options did not go so well until I took the call seriously. Twice in my life. Best advice I received: when you have the right answer, God always gives peace. Not an easy life; peace in the decision.

++++++++++

pic: son Joe and grandson Nick are in a town near Barcelona for Lauren and Ashlee's wedding celebration, and this is one of the dishes on their table for dinner last night