Skip to main content

We'll see

Yesterday while the ladies did a bit of nostalgia shopping, I sat on a bench and, in a soft, gentle and sometimes cool breath of breeze, marked up a couple of prospective sermons for Sunday. 


Both sermon drafts are still candidates, although I'm more or less leaning toward the strange one. We'll see. I think Neuman Marshall made the frames for the bench-ends with crosses for the church. Neuman was a talented, able, kind and gentle man, a beloved parishioner who brought Linda floats and nets to use in her flower arrangements for the Altar. And when an old black Chevrolet pickup truck roared to a halt in the alley behind the rectory kitchen, it meant Neuman was bringing a mess of freshly caught mullet, scaled, cleaned and dressed, ready for the skillet for our supper. 

Neuman and his buddy Donald Totman were the first two people I met in Apalachicola. I guess it was January 1984. I was down from Harrisburg, teaching one of my graduate courses in major weapons system acquisition at the University of West Florida, visiting with my parents the Sunday, and we drove over to Apalachicola for the day. Donald and Neuman were sitting on one of the benches when we parked, got out of the car and walked to the church. To be ordained priest the following month, I was interested when I asked Donald and Neuman who their priest was, and they said the priest had retired but "the bishop will send us a priest." For me, it was one of those "Lord, give me a sign" moments. 


Sitting on the bench yesterday, I looked up and realized that I was looking at a snapshot from my life.

Life is Good, and much to be tended and enjoyed, cherished and remembered.

++++++++++

John Gorrie Square in front of Trinity Episcopal Church, Apalachicola, Florida. Church: as for the Belief part, I could not have said it nearly as well as Sean of the South says it in his essay this morning:    



Dear Sean