that shook the heavens

 

What kind of picture to put up this morning! What am I reading, what am I hearing? Fury.

Fury.

We have lived in several places where sports were/are extraordinarily prominent in people's lives. Football in Gainesville, Go Gators. Baseball in San Diego, where I loved going to Padres games with Joe - - we always sat right at first base, a great spot. Later, Athens, Georgia go Gators. Ann Arbor, Michigan, Go Blue. Columbus, Ohio, Go Blue defiantly if cautiously, it's pretty intense there, I remember watching Woody Hayes slug a student on the field after Ohio State lost a game one year. Coach Hayes' animosity toward the Wolverines was such that he wouldn't even buy gasoline for his car in Michigan. Northwest Florida - - Apalachicola and now Panama City. When we lived in Apalachicola, I loved posting football scores instead of hymn numbers on the hymn boards on Thanksgiving weekends when the Gators beat the Seminoles. 

Panama City now. I can say Go Gators here, and lots of people say Roll Tide and others War Eagle, but the truth is, this is Seminole country. During CFB season, cars are seen flying FSU flags on both sides, including drivers who never set foot on a university campus much less saw the inside of a college classroom. Seminoles. Fury.

Fury.

Undefeated FSU clinging to number four, pushed down to number five and out of running for a championship playoff game. For me, I would much rather Michigan be playing FSU than Alabama. Or Michigan playing FSU than Georgia, who after a full season at Number 1 dropped instantly to 6. But now Michigan will play the semifinal against Alabama. This is not good news. And it turns out to be my fault.

Fearing that the powers of the heavens did a psychic number on destiny solely because, as a Gator for whom it is unthinkable yea unto impossible to say "Go Dawgs," at halftime in the Alabama-Georgia game, with Alabama ahead, I rashly and unthinkingly posted "Roll Tide" when I should have kept my mouth shut. As a result of my shortsighted rashness, the powers of the heavens shook, and Alabama won, and now we have Michigan playing Alabama in the first game. I'm speculating - - if I had kept my mouth shut, Georgia would have won their Alabama game, now Georgia would be playing FSU and Michigan would be playing Washington, and then Michigan against Georgia and Go Blue. But no.

I have sinned in thought, word, and deed. Now, penance. I am doing penance. For one, I have taken down my stupidly shortsighted Facebook post that said "Roll Tide," changing everything. For two, well ... I'll wear my FSU hat and do the Seminole chop this week. And then, using my powers as a priest, I'll absolve myself.

Go Blue. Sorry, FSU. Sorry TJCC. Mea culpa.

T88&c