Wednesday Waiting

 


Feels cold out, 41° wind NNW 10 mph. Some mornings no bloggable thoughts come to me, today may be one. Sean of the South comes up with something every day, but he's getting paid for it. He seems like a really good person, I pretty much stopped reading him though because his writing is nearly always so maudlin, and a daily downer is not something my mornings need. News from Europe, the MiddleEast, and across America is dispiriting enough.

We had such good spanakopita last month that I browsed and discovered Sam's has them, frozen. Linda's got six in the toaster oven for our breakfast this morning; piping hot, but a touch of mayonnaise on each bite fixes that. Growing up, I loved when sweet rolls showed up at the breakfast table, but anymore, rather than sweet, I seem to prefer savory flavors early. 

Good yesterday, really enjoyed visiting with Robert, it'd been way too long and both of us are noticeably older physically since last Time. Great reminiscing, and he gave me three photographs of our different classes from Cove School days - - Miss Martin's 5th grade 1945-46, Mrs Watson's 4th grade 1944-45, and Miss Edwina Parker's 7th grade 1947-48 that I posted on Facebook along with names of us students. Plus, perfect meal, to my taste: eggs over medium, mushrooms with gravy spooned over, and fried chicken drumsticks. The fried chicken, I used to get only one because they were so enormous, but yesterday they were about the size of my little finger so I had four. The soft-serve ice cream machine wasn't putting out, but I got a tiny taste of the chocolate.

Speaking of, Kristen gave me an Advent Calendar, which is always a treat. This one, a Christmas tree and you punch out a numbered ornament every day and get a little heart in dark chocolate. A nice treat. Advent calendars can be fun - - my all Time favorite, years ago, featured a train stopping at various places, one stop each day through December. It was delightfully imaginative and took me, sentimentally, back my generations to when we traveled by train.

Advent is for waiting and keeping watch: we are waiting for shipping notice of our new adjustable bed, ordered from the factory, I think it's coming from Utah, but it may be Iowa. A king-twin with each side adjustable separately. Why? Well, because the bed we have now is too high, it's okay for me but Linda has to step up on a riser to get in it, and I'm increasingly concerned about her falling, a worry that spiked last week. Without constant carefulness, at this age falling is a really bad rite of passage into end of life stage. An abundance of caution isn't enough, SuperAgers have to be fanatical about safety. Linda slipped and fell in a store in Apalachicola last week, doctor says nothing broken or cracked, but she is now on meds for unrelenting lower back pain, which the doctor said would last six to eight weeks. 

If a fall isn't fatal or crippling, maybe it's a wakeup call, eh? It's certainly a benchmark. 

+++++++++

What this morning? Well, Calvin got a D- on his research paper about tyrannosaurus rex, but he learned a lesson from it all: that his teacher could be sweet-talked into raising his grade to a D.


Comics link on my computer desktop, which I check once or twice a week during lulls from other things. It'll take me to every comic that's in print, from the first one decades ago right up to today's. The front page links are few though, so generally I only open Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side. The author of Dilbert, another top favorite, did something that was politically incorrect and got taken down. Which punishes me for someone else's stupidity!

Looking out my window across St Andrews Bay at The Pass, and beyond Shell Island at the Gulf of Mexico, clear blue sky and Life Is Good. Lessons & Carols at HNEC this evening.

RSF&PTL

T88&c