Books

Books
Monday morning, March 28, 2011.
Five months ago I wasn’t supposed to be here this morning. That was not frightening but disappointing because I’m not finished.
Especially Books. Books underway. Books yet to read. 
Two books underway.
The Authentic Letters of Paul - A New Reading of Paul’s Rhetoric and Meaning. A. J. Dewey, R. W. Hoover, L. C. McGaughy, D. D. Schmidt. Polebridge Press. 2010. In the Scholars Version, it’s translation, commentary, essays on the seven books of the New Testament that modern scholars agree are actually letters from the hand of St. Paul, and in what seems to be his chronological order of writing them instead of the usual canonical order:
1 Thessalonians
Galatians
1 Corinthians
2 Corinthians
Philemon
Philippians
Romans
The Complete Gospels, edited by Robert J. Miller. Polebridge Press. 2010, 1994, 1992. Fourth Edition. Also in the Scholars Version. Essays, commentary, new translations of the Bible’s four canonical Gospels, plus the Gospels of Thomas, Judas, and Mary, the Q Gospel, the Signs Gospel, the Mystical Gospel of Mark, and a dozen other Gospels from the first three centuries. Lots of surprises lots to learn a lot explained.
Both books are excellent, readable. I’d recommend them for anyone seriously interested in studying the New Testament, perhaps especially folks who have had, or are now completing, or are registering for EfM Year Two. My EfM mentor license expired because the re-certification class for which I was registered was while I was in Cleveland, so I’ve had to retire at least for the time being. But if I were still an EfM mentor I would prescribe them as Summer Reading for folks completing Year One and registering for Year Two.
In his farewell remarks the last day of class, my Theology professor at Lutheran Theological Seminary, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania recommended strongly that we not consider our education complete upon graduating seminary, but continue to read, study, explore, broaden. That was 1981 and I have learned a lot more in subsequent reading and studies, on my own, in Bible study groups, and in EfM, than I ever learned in seminary.
Personal, private reading is tremendously rewarding. Sharing with others is even more so.
TW+