pardon my ramble



kindly pardon my ramble

Our next door neighbor Bill Lee has a garden that supplies the best collards, fresh tender delicious. There’s a mess of his collards on the stove as I start typing mindless of what to blog for Thursday. For anyone who loves collards as I do, they’re full of iron and good for someone who’s a bit anemic after surgery as I am a great excuse for collards several times a day or week. First Breakfast is a mug of decaf tea Second Breakfast may be a bowl of collards.

Collards need a bit of seasoning, which used to be bacon or ham but no more. Linda is cooking these with sodium-free chicken base. So I went on line just now, found low-sodium ham base by Redi-Base and ordered two jars. Meantime to my bowl of collards goes a smidgen of Habanero Tabasco, my favorite hot sauce. 
Upsetting news on TV, Colonel Qaddafi bombing his own cities and citizens. Time for aggressive international intervention against the madman in my opinion. Not U.S. troops though. Two U.S. wars already is too many. An Arab alliance maybe.
More upsetting news on TV, Supreme Court upholds free speech right of Westboro Baptist Church, Topeka to picket military funerals and funerals of gays. U.S. law is what the U.S. Supreme Court says it is, but the Court is wrong, obsessed with rights without regard to responsibilities, which may outweigh rights: there are expectations of common human decency in civilized society. These people are beyond the pale, hatred outside the bounds of human decency. Seems to me I read that in England there are laws against inciting hatred. Other than that I don’t know what to suggest. In truth I do know exactly what to suggest, but being priest and pastor I shall abstain, refrain from opening my mouth.
The Westboro Baptists are violently against gays. My observation and experience is that those who profess to hate gay people so vehemently are themselves in the closet, can’t face it in themselves and don’t want anyone to suspect. Could it be that pastor’s problem?

more bad news not an attractive character story in this morning's panama city news-herald is it  
Weather has been magnificent. Wednesday I had brisk walks. Round the long block is four-tenths of a mile, done at a quick pace, did that before breakfast and will again this morning, weather permitting. Out the back door and fast pace round and down the Calhoun Avenue to the Bay is good too. So is up and down the stairs. Cardiologist said walking is the best possible exercise.
Thursday will be an “out” day. This afternoon Linda is taking my mother to the hairdresser for the first time since early January. I’ll go along because she has to negotiate a ramp with her walker. Linda will walk in front, I’ll walk behind. Mornings these days are off-the-wall, but she does well afternoons and evenings. A Physical Therapist comes for an hour three days a week, helping her regain strength, walking skill, and self-confidence. 
Seeing that I'm mending according to expectation, my Adult Sunday School will resume March 13, 2011, First Sunday in Lent, at 9:15 a.m., Mary Stuart Poole Library. All are invited and welcome! We will begin with everyone’s favorite subject SIN, which is the topic of all our Bible readings for that first Sunday! There are five Sundays in Lent, pretty much deep in sin, which we will experience through the Collects, the Lectionary, and the hymns. To get in mood, attitude and frame of mind, we will look at Lenten traditions and customs ancient and modern, and we will consider the theology and history of hymns we sing in worship on the Sundays in Lent. Come one, come all! As usual, I will be the one who learns the most.
A verse from a favorite hymn for Lent:
To bow the head in sackcloth and in ashes,
or rend the soul, such grief is not Lent's goal;
but to be led to where God's glory flashes,
God's beauty to come near.
Make clear, make clear, 
make clear where truth and light appear;
Make clear, make clear, 
make clear where truth and light appear.
Beautiful poem by Percy Dearmer. 
Tune is a lovely French carol, Quittez, Pasteurs.
archie and mehitabel just sat down and started typing this morning the picture is collards pardon my ramble
TW+