Staying Up Here This Time

Saturday was race day at Holy Nativity Episcopal School. Doug nominated me to be Honorary Parade Grand Marshal and I rode in a white Mustang convertible. Children, adults, the entire morning was a delight -- saying the opening prayer, riding to start the races, watching the kids all morning, handing out medals and trophies. Thank you, Doug!  Thanks, Nancy, for picking me up. Thanks, Amy and everyone, for the warm welcome. Thank you, Lisa, for delivering me home!
After my mother fell in December we had a ramp built for her from the back porch to the car park area. It’s indispensable because we are unable to get her in and out of the house otherwise. Unpainted through January and February, Linda painted it last week and it looks just right. Now she’s attaching plant hangers on it, ready for spring planting, in fact the petunias are already there. “Lent” means spring, old or middle English for the lengthening days that usher in springtime. 
Although my plan was a red convertible I find myself needing to look at regular cars because getting my mother into Linda’s SUV is a struggle with some danger she may slip and fall. So it may be a sedan because of the chair-height seat for entry and exit. Cramers’ have some attractive GM offers right now and they’re my dealer so already I’m starting to drive Chris nuts. He’s been really patient with me over the years though. Of course, if he gives me any trouble I’ll call his mama!
My brother Walt is here this weekend and it’s great to see him. He stayed with our mother last evening and Linda and I went to see “The King’s Speech,” an Oscar winning movie. Last movies we saw were “Narnia” and “Harry Potter” in December and nothing can replace those two series in my heart because of their association for me with Holy Nativity school and my years with the children there. “The King’s Speech” is excellent, so much so that in my final and waking dream a few minutes ago I was myself Bertie’s coach. King George VI many will remember fondly, as I do. During World War II he was probably as admired in America as in England, he and his wife and daughters. The film makes a point of showing his constant smoking, which of course led to his death at 56 of lung cancer. 
Walt rode over with his son Mike and family -- Mike and Toni, Andrew and Micah. The children are adorable, affectionate and kind. First thing all little kids do in our house is go to the pantry closet at the back door and take out the tray of Matchbox cars. There are dozens of the little cars on the tray and from time to time we go to Toys-R-Us and replenish with a new package of a dozen or two new ones. Last evening I told Andrew (8) he could choose one to keep. A bit later I told Micah she also could choose one. She was torn between two, so I opened it up to Andrew again and between them they left with four. Their mother then mentioned that as they were driving over from Denham Springs, Louisiana on Friday evening Andrew had asked, “Did you bring my Matchbox cars?” and was disappointed she forgot them. So the four free cars were right on!
You really need a sermon this morning and you need to be in church but here’s a favorite hymn to get you started up the mountain for the transfiguration. From the fifteenth century,
O wondrous type! O vision fair
of glory that the church may share,
which Christ upon the mountain shows,
where brighter than the sun he glows! 

With Moses and Elijah nigh
the incarnate Lord holds converse high;
and from the cloud, the Holy One
bears record to the only Son.

With shining face and bright array,
Christ deigns to manifest today
what glory shall be theirs above
who joy in God with perfect love. 

And faithful hearts are raised on high
by this great vision's mystery;
for which in joyful strains we raise
the voice of prayer, the hymn of praise. 

O Father, with the eternal Son,
and Holy Spirit, ever One,
vouchsafe to bring us by thy grace
to see thy glory face to face.
The Peace of the Lord be always with you.
Thomas, I told you to get down off that roof.
No, Boss, I'm staying right here.

Tom+