Maund

Cogitate on it this morning or preach on it this evening? 
Thursday begins the Triduum, the three days before Easter Day. Called Holy Thursday or Maundy Thursday, there is no agreement on 
whether “maundy” comes from the Latin word mandatum, meaning "commandment" in "mandatum novum do vobis ut diligatis invicem sicut dilexi vos ut et vos diligatis invicem" (Latin Vulgate), "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you", said by Jesus at the Last Supper in the Gospel of John 13:34; 
or whether “maundy” comes from the word mendicare meaning "to beg," and the practice that grew up of the monarch washing the feet of the poor and giving hand baskets (maunds) or token purses of coins to the poor on this day.
When we have a topic like this in classes, folks often ask me, “What do you think?” And my answer is that I honestly don’t know and don’t feel I need to choose; but am content to know there is disagreement, with competent folks on each side; and you may decide for yourself. Knowing and thinking without feeling it necessary to choose and decide and be absolutely definitive is perfectly Anglican.
TW+