The Sound of Silence

"I was ready to be sought by those who did not ask, to be found by those who did not seek me. I said, 'Here I am, here I am' ..." (Isaiah 65:1 NRSV).

Here I sit waiting for God, like Estragon and Vladimir waiting for Godot. Eerily like. Like them, to hold the terrible silence at bay, I do other things and my spiritual director asks if I've ever encountered the interference of Satan getting in the way of God. Yes, as a matter of fact, this very moment I hear the sound of silence but it's not the sound of sheer silence, the still, small voice that Elijah heard; it's Simon and Garfunkel. And no angelic harp, it's a guitar and their voices. The temptation to switch from Scripture to YouTube, click on and listen, is heavy. 
This dawn I'd rather listen to Simon and Garfunkel than strain for the still, small voice. 

Prayer for freedom from distraction goes unanswered. Maybe the reason for the distraction is that, wanting to hear what God wants from me and hearing naught, God's want of this time is other. What might that other be?

If the boy is truthful, Godot is a shepherd with a white beard, was here yesterday and will return tomorrow. I'll wait.

The Sound of Silence.

So far this week I've spent a lot of time in the Jesuit graveyard. Each tombstone is marked RIP. But the Peace of God or the sound of sheer silence could never sound better than this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTCNwgzM2rQ

TW+