Shadow of the Mountain

Struggling. As Isra-El struggled with God and prevailed, just so, Isra-T struggles with Self against the evil that I see, know, within me. Struggles but does not prevail. Looking deep, I recognize the same Adversary that tempted Jesus who did not sin, successfully tempting me. That I am a product of my time and place in the Creator's expanding universe is part of perceiving but no part of justifying -- because I am an intelligent being, bound by Baptismal Covenant, called to lift myself, with God's help, out of self into the godly image I was created to be. I am lost; but salvation may be in the struggle itself: that I do not shelter in my bunker of certitude, but struggle to break free of what I am and become what Jesus calls me to be.  

A citizen outraged at his atrocity, I nevertheless struggle with my government’s decision to seek death for the boy Tsarnaev. The Boston Bomber, the boy. DeathEaters, DeathSeekers, a nation of lawyers, where are the philosophers? To seek death for him justifies him. To kill him will prove the point of his rage and the rage of all his kin, and will lose everything that could have made us different, everything worth victory. Failing morally, we only fuel the exploding hatred and violence. We don't understand what is to die for or when not to kill for. Does Tsarnaev deserve death? In a world of fiery vengeance, his just desserts is the point only for the spiritually, morally, ethically blind, Will no one say "hush"?

We can compete and excel in any forum, the Romans with their beastly Forum had nothing on us. And not only the Romans. Through the postwar era we Superpower have made ourselves the least common denominator with all who hate us with cause and vengeance. Looking at Iraq and Afghanistan after 9/11, it is not Vietnam from which we have failed to learn history, but Lidice. We have become what we fought. We are blessed that by the time the future judges us, we will have marched into history waving our banner and thumping our chest. 

Blinded with outrage at its evil cruelty, we do not grasp that warfare itself has changed in our time because there is no defense against bullies, and terrorism is the only offense.   

Why do they hate us? We couldn’t care less. As a -- Christian Nation -- we do not value mercy or strive for justice and peace, and we have no sense of our own national interest or honor.

For those of us who observe a lectionary year, it is unfortunately the Year of Matthew. We come face to face with Mt 5:44 and live in the terrible shadow of the Sermon on the Mount.

W