Cleared for takeoff

Lord have mercy, I can’t stand it. Every time a Fiat 500 


commercial runs on TV I do a second take thinking the Crosley is back, and the word that hits me is “death trap.” That’s wrong, it’s a safe enough little car, 


safe enough for some people, but I’d better not see my grandchild riding in one. Car safety measurements are mostly about being in a collision with another car of the same size and weight. There aren’t enough Fiat 500s on the American road to be hunting each other down to crash into, and what I visualize is a crumpled fistful of aluminum foil after mating with a friendly 18-wheeler. 

Crosley cars were manufactured from 1939 to 1952 (except during WW2) 


and were interesting little bug-size vehicles


advertised “cheaper than an eight-year old used car.” 


They were odd enough looking


and about the last model effected a little propellor on a point at end of the hood.


Driving only the seven mile round trip between home and church a few times a week, I might feel safe enough in a Fiat 500,


but I’ll bet my friends at Cramer GM could get me an eight year old used Chevy cheaper and I’d rather have that.

Just sayin’

W